Age of chemicals

fordsbyjay

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 1, 2009
Lafayette, LA
Do some or all chemicals get old and not work properly?

I have the TF-100 kit but when I do the FC test it does not seem to change the color of the water anymore (R-870, R-871). All I get is a bunch of black chunks floating around and the inside of my test bottle is all stained.

Being not sure I have went back to using the local pool stores and what a nightmare that has been. Two different places, two different results. I did an simple chlorine drop test (using Taylor K1000 kit) this morning and get around 5, go to the pool store and he tells me the chlorine is zero, BUT, my phosphates are too high and all my chlorine is getting used up so I need phosphate remover.... lol.

Shame on you going back to the pool store! Now maybe you realize why you left? Keep your reagents in a cool dark place to get up to 18 months use of them. If your dpd powder is all dark, it's most likely bad. You can clean that chlorine test tube by simple putting pure bleach in it for a while, rinse, and wipe it out. Time to reorder it seems!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.