Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Age of chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1
    Lafayette, LA

Age of chemicals

Do some or all chemicals get old and not work properly?

I have the TF-100 kit but when I do the FC test it does not seem to change the color of the water anymore (R-870, R-871). All I get is a bunch of black chunks floating around and the inside of my test bottle is all stained.

Being not sure I have went back to using the local pool stores and what a nightmare that has been. Two different places, two different results. I did an simple chlorine drop test (using Taylor K1000 kit) this morning and get around 5, go to the pool store and he tells me the chlorine is zero, BUT, my phosphates are too high and all my chlorine is getting used up so I need phosphate remover.... lol.
    19000 gallon inground fiberglass pool
    Hayward Pro Series Sand filter S244T 62 gal/min
    Whisper Flow WFE-2 / 011511 1/2 hspr pump
    Aqua Rite AQR Pro SWG, T15 cell for 25000 gal

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Age of chemicals

Shame on you going back to the pool store! Now maybe you realize why you left? Keep your reagents in a cool dark place to get up to 18 months use of them. If your dpd powder is all dark, it's most likely bad. You can clean that chlorine test tube by simple putting pure bleach in it for a while, rinse, and wipe it out. Time to reorder it seems!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!