Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New gauge questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New gauge questions

When they installed my pool, the Hayward gauge always read 28 psi. They told me to backflush when I got down to 18. I never realized the gauge should be zero until being a part of this forum.

Now with the new gauge, it reads 15.5. Do I wait until it is at five before backflushing or is there a chance that it is already lower than it should be and needs to be back flushed ?
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New gauge questions

All gauges should read "zero" when the pump is off. Are you saying that your's reads 15.5 with the pump off?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry about that. It reads 15.5 when the pump is running. The new one I got from you guys shows 0 off. So I guess my question is 15.5 good? Do I wait till it's at five before I backflush? Or does that pressure tell me needs to be backflush now ?
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You seem to have it a bit backwards. The dirtier the filter gets, the HIGHER the pressure will be.

Right now, you need to establish your "Normal Low" Do so by backflushing rinsing and then going back to filter and (remember/write down/note) that normal low.

As you run the filter, the psi will slowly climb and you should back flush again when the psi rises by 25%

So if you started at 15.5 as your normal low, then your signal to back flush would be 15.5 x 1.25% = roughly 20psi
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

Understood. Thx.

6. Back To Top    #6

Still 15.5 after backflush and rinse.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

So, you have a reasonable starting point. Each time I pass my filter, I take a quick look at the gauge to see if all is normal. You may not have to backwash for a long time.......that's good!
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. Love this site and my TF100. It is calming

9. Back To Top    #9

Anyone tell me why my gauge is now reading only 13 when running?
    no visible leaks.
    Still reads 0 when off.

10. Back To Top    #10

Those gauges are good, but you can still have a little fluctuation from time to time based on your pool's water flow. You were at about 15 psi before, so perhaps your filter system and sand are settling-in and acclimating to everything resulting in a little drop. If you had a big drop we might be concerned about water flow, suction line blockage, etc from the pool to the pump. But I don't think that's case with you at this time. I would just monitor it from time to time. Remember, it will always read 0 when off - no movement of water, no pressure to the filter, therefore no psi.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks again. I made the comment about 0 since my last one always read 10

12. Back To Top    #12

Six month old gauge now reading 15 when off. Turn pump off and it shoots over 30.
    I took plumbing off and there is flow and backflow as appropriate so I'm thinking it has to be the gauge.
    Anyone know of one that lasts longer than six months?

heres the one I have
    TFTestkits.net

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Of course, TFTestkits will replace your gauge. All you needed to do was ask.

Your post is confusing
    Six month old gauge now reading 15 when off. Turn pump off and it shoots over 30.
    I assume you mean it goes over 30 when you turn the pump on, correct? and I also assume that when you shut the pump off the gauge goes to 15 and stays there.

Curious......do you remember when it started doing this?
    Dave S.

14. Back To Top    #14

Just noticed the other day. I have not had the pump running for the last three weeks.
    Sorry about the confusion. Yes, when the pump is off or I remove the gauge it is it 15. When I turn the pump on it goes over 30.

Gorgeous day out, so I wanted to test and then remove the plumbing.

15. Back To Top    #15

Rebecca is sending me another one.

16. Back To Top    #16

Just curious, how many days below freezing have you had this year?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Two? No hard freezes. Pump running as usual.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Two Hard Freezes in Rome, NY?? Isn't the average low around 10 -15 degrees most all winter? I knew some folks there years ago.
    Dave S.

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, nothing yet this year though. 25 was it and then warmed up to 60.
    So cold the last few that it barely snowed!!
    other years we get slammed.