Mostly Liquid Mouse

Davejavu

Gold Supporter
Mar 28, 2015
US
I took the cover off of my pool yesterday and discovered a mouse lounging on the bottom of the pool at about 6 feet deep. Not sure why he wanted to take a nap there, but my family wasn't too keen on it. Plus, I don't remember sending out invites for a winter long pool party. Anyways, I decided that his pool time was over, so I grabbed the skimmer pole and went mouse fishing. To make a long story more gross, as I started to remove him, the little guy disintegrated and I ended up bringing up a MLM (Mostly Liquid Mouse). He DID NOT seem thrilled about it and neither was I. So after a bit of research on finding dead animals in the pool, I can conclusively say that there are absolutely NO appetizing recipes out there for this lucky find. The next best resource was the CDC website. While the site does not give any Epicurious like advice, it does have some helpful advice on sanitation:

Follow these steps to remove the animal and disinfect the water:
  • Close the pool to swimmers.
  • Put on disposable gloves.
  • Use a net or bucket to remove the dead animal from the pool.
  • Double bag the animal in plastic garbage bags.
  • Clean off any debris or dirt from the item used to remove the dead animal.
  • Remove gloves and place them in the garbage bags.
  • Close the garbage bags and place them in a sealed trash can to help keep wild animals away from the dead animal.
  • Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water immediately.
  • Raise the free chlorine concentration to, or maintain it at, 2 parts per million (ppm); maintain the pH levels at 7.5 or less; keep the temperature at 77°F (25°C) or higher. The free chlorine and pH should remain at these levels for 30 minutes.
  • Confirm that the filtration system is operating properly during this time.
  • Disinfect the item used to remove the dead animal by immersing it in the pool during the 30 minute disinfection time.

Even with this nugget of information, I kinda wanted an even more rodent free experience. So I fished out the tail that fell off the skimmer (did I mention gross) and decided a full on SLAM was in order. Now a day later, and after a couple cycles of "Phil" (our Tiger Shark cleaner), everything seems pretty good. Crystal clear water, perfect pool water balance and no more icky, icky, icky debris.

Now join in if you know the words..."Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me?...M I C K E Y... M O U S E..."

il_214x170.767650637_1f3j.jpg

Now you know how the New York City coroners office feels when they go fishing bodies out of the East River....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.