Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Conflicted and don't want to make the wrong decision,,,,,,,,,please help

1. Back To Top    #1

Albany. NY

Question Conflicted and don't want to make the wrong decision,,,,,,,,,please help

Hello. We are buying a pool and I am the one that will be taking care of it. I am looking at the chemical/cleaning products. From everything I have been reading I think I am going to be using the BBB method. BUT, I have a couple of questions. The place we are purchasing our pool from recommends the SimpleBlue pool water system. So far, everything that I have been reading about this product, on here or other forums has absolutely NOTHING good said about it. I just want to make sure that I am positive about not using it. The "active" ingredients are Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate.............1.6% and "other" ingredients 98.4% including Metallic Copper Equivalent........ 0.4%.

Also, I have read that "bleach" and "liquid chlorine" are the same, that it is just a matter of the concentration. Is that correct? As I said, this is a new pool and I don't want to destroy it.

We are getting a 15' round above ground pool.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Conflicted and don't want to make the wrong decision,,,,,,,,,please help

Welcome to TFP!!

To be honest you will not "destroy" the pool with either method of care. The problem we have with the SimpleBlue pool water system is that you are adding copper to your water. Copper is an algecide, so yes it can kill and keep algae away. Copper-only is more of a problem because it does not address fecal bacteria, but the risks for transmitting viruses or protozoan oocysts in a residential pool are very low. So, you need some chlorine anyway. If you are going to have to have chlorine anyway, why bother with the SimpleBlue? The pool folks want you to go with that system because you have to keep coming back to them for more of the stuff.

You are correct, bleach and liquid chlorine are the same thing. Bleach comes in concentrations from about 3% up to the "concentrated" which is 8.25%. Liquid chlorine (some places call it liquid shock) is either 10% or 12.5%. While it gets technical, the percentages don't match correctly because they are calculated a little differently between bleach & liquid chlorine, but it is close enough for us.

I use nothing but bleach from Dollar General or WalMart.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

If the project continues, GET A TEST KIT. Get a good one that you have to order.....don't get something because it's convenient. There is an article in Pool School that will help you decide.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

You're right on both counts.

Copper is great as an algaecide, but it doesn't disinfect fast enough so you'll need a source of chlorine to kill bacteria and viruses to keep the water sanitary. And since you're adding chlorine anyway, and it kills algae, why add copper, too? Copper can build up and stain the walls and turn blond hair green. Who needs the grief?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!