Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair IC 40 - Waffle like insert which end?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair IC 40 - Waffle like insert which end?

On my Pentair IC 40, I have a waffle like insert that came with the cell. Very dumb question but which end to I insert it in? I'm guessing the Inflow side to prevent large debris from entering the cell but since the cell is after the filter I think very little chance of this happening. Or maybe to minimize turbulence? On Youtube videos for cleaning the cell I never see this part and I'm really sure why? Is it necessary and what purpose does it serve?
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair IC 40 - Waffle like insert which end?

I see nothing about it in the Pentair manual either. Like you , I would assume the intake side, but interesting it's not even addressed at all. Maybe give them a call when they're open?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I will call them thanks. Like you I did not see it in the manual either.

Kit Contents
    - One IntelliChlor Electronic Chlorine Generator
    - Two (2) cell union with two (2) o-rings
    - User’s Guide (this manual)

That is it.
    40x15 IG, 19,000 gallons, Taylor K-2006C, Intellichlor IC40, Pentiar 1.5 hp Intelliflo VS, Pentair 420 Clean/Clear Filter, Speedstir, Stonescape - french grey, Travertine Paver decking, Completed August 1, 2015.

4. Back To Top    #4

Inlet side. It's meant to capture anything large before it hits the cell.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks JoyfulNoise. I would have thought anything that large would have been picked up by the filter upstream.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's there in case you run a filter with an MPV that has a recirculate option. Recirculate bypasses the filter and can allow larger stuff to get through.

Believe it or not, I found a scorpion tail (just the tail) stuck to the waffle screen the very first time I opened up my SWG. No idea how something like that could have gotten there as I have a DE filter and no MPV. Since it was the first year of operation, I can only assume the scorpion was in the plumbing after the filter.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates