Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pool owner - which test kit should I buy?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool owner - which test kit should I buy?

The pool builder left me with some generic testing strips, but I am curious to know if there is a more comprehensive and accurate test kit that this community recommends. I have an 18 x 36 in ground pool with a Hayward pump and salt water generator.
    Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New Pool owner - which test kit should I buy?

There is a great test kit

The TF100 is hands down the best priced kit with the most tests, the taylor kit will also work just as well but you get less reagents TFTestkits.net

And if I may, the speedstir is worth its weight in gold
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. TF-100 w/ Speed Stir! You won't be disappointed.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The Speedstir came out about five years ago, I think. I am a no frills guy and refused to carry it. Then, I bought one and did the tests

Eureka!! That device made my testing so much more precise. You can certainly do without it but I don't think I have EVER had someone say they didn't like the swpeedstir.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a bottle of Aquacheck test strips, but took a water sample to a local pool supply store this morning and walked away $150 lighter in the wallet. Is there an online source for better prices? Or would shipping negate any cost savings?

I will look into the test kits you guys recommended.
    Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Never put ANYTHING in your pool unless you know what it is and what the outcome will be. That pool store has no idea what your pool needs based on test strips.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a bottle of Aquacheck test strips, but took a water sample to a local pool supply store this morning and walked away $150 lighter in the wallet. Is there an online source for better prices? Or would shipping negate any cost savings?

I will look into the test kits you guys recommended.
    Thanks!
    Stop giving your money to the pool store.Buy the T100 kit and study up in pool school.

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

The pool store conducted their own test with their in house testing equipment. The part that was a bit disconcerting was that one of the workers gave me instructions that was contradictory to what another worker had given. Who to believe?! I will have to get more educated on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Never put ANYTHING in your pool unless you know what it is and what the outcome will be. That pool store has no idea what your pool needs based on test strips.

9. Back To Top    #9

Best thing to do is toss the pool store.Spend your time &money here will be your best investment.

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Yupper! TF100 and Speedstir. They go together like a cheeseburger and fries.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

A new pool guy to another, listen to what the posters are saying. They have saved me a lot of cash by reading up here and doing as much as I can on my own.

In regards to test kits, I have been using the Taylor K-2006 for the last couple of years. It seems daunting at first but if you read up on pool school and watch some youtube videos, the kit is easy to use.
    2004, 22.5K Gal., 36x18, IG Gunite, 2HP Hayward Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Raypak 406 NG Heater, Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot, Automatic Cover

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Effers View Post
    A new pool guy to another, listen to what the posters are saying. They have saved me a lot of cash by reading up here and doing as much as I can on my own.

In regards to test kits, I have been using the Taylor K-2006 for the last couple of years. It seems daunting at first but if you read up on pool school and watch some youtube videos, the kit is easy to use.
    I appreciate the feedback. It's great having this resource to help get started.

Constructed November 2015, concrete walls, 29,000 gallon capactiy, vinyl liner, Max-Flo VS filter pump, Hayward DE4820 Filter, Aquarite Salt Water Generator, TF-100 Test Kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yea. That $150 you spent could have paid for a home testkit that is accurate! No more driving to pool stores for conflicting advise. Did you use any of the stuff you bought? See if you can return any of the things you didn't open.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Yea. That $150 you spent could have paid for a home testkit that is accurate! No more driving to pool stores for conflicting advise. Did you use any of the stuff you bought? See if you can return any of the things you didn't open.
    I haven't used any of it yet. But won't I eventually need the chemicals? Even if the better test kit indicates a more balanced water chemistry than the store, by June or July I'm guessing I'll need to use some of the products I purchased. Specifically, stabilizer, a case of liquid shock, calcium plus, and alkalinity plus.

Constructed November 2015, concrete walls, 29,000 gallon capactiy, vinyl liner, Max-Flo VS filter pump, Hayward DE4820 Filter, Aquarite Salt Water Generator, TF-100 Test Kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

The alkalinity plus is chemically identical to baking soda from the grocery store which costs maybe a buck a pound. Return that. The calcium plus is a maybe. What brand is it?

Most of the pool store products contain ingredients you can get at the grocery much, much cheaper.

16. Back To Top    #16

The alkalinity plus is chemically identical to baking soda from the grocery store which costs maybe a buck a pound. Return that. The calcium plus is a maybe. What brand is it?

Most of the pool store products contain ingredients you can get at the grocery much, much cheaper.
    The brand name on all the products is Chemex. A friend of mine told me about the baking soda thing today as well, I should have done my research beforehand. One of those smaller packages, not sure if it was the stabilizer or the alkaline, cost $45. Seems pretty steep for a 4 or 10 pound package.

17. Back To Top    #17

I will research that MSDS. In the meantime, think about getting a testkit and then using only the chemicals your pool really needs. We can help teach you!

18. Back To Top    #18

I will research that MSDS. In the meantime, think about getting a testkit and then using only the chemicals your pool really needs. We can help teach you!
    Thank you

19. Back To Top    #19

It appears to be just calcium chloride. That is good. However, in the future, you may be able to find it cheaper. Your mentioned $45 for either alkalinity plus or stabilizer. I already talked about the price of the alkalinity plus (baking soda). I just bought 6.5# of stabilizer (100% CYA) for $12.78. In my area, it is always less than $3/lb.
    Last edited by MarianParoo; 05-21-2016 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Auto-correct errors

20. Back To Top    #20

Arm Hammer Baking Soda, 192 oz - Walmart.com

$7.57 for 12lbs, bought it last month and it worked great.

30,000 Gallon Pool IG (Pool 18' X 38' / Spa 7' X 7') - Pentair IC40 SWG - (1) Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Pump - Pentair DE FNS-Plus 60 Filter - Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater - Pentair Easytouch 8 - Pentair Electronic valves - Pentair 5G Color LED Pool/Spa Lights - Pebble Sheen Mini Tahoe Blue - Auto Fill/Over Flow - Taylor K-2006C - Completion 3/2016.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast