Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Conversion (swap out) of pool single speed to two speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Casa Grande,Az

Conversion (swap out) of pool single speed to two speed pump

My signature line gives my equipment set up. I am trying to determine if it is reasonable to consider replacing my main single speed pump to a variable speed. What are the issues I need to consider and the things I need to price out excluding electricity. I am sure there is something significant that has to be done inside the circuitry of the Jandy Power Center. Thanks for any thoughts.

Joe D
    10000 gallon plaster, with adj Spa, Jandy Purelink system with Jandy SWG, Jandy CL series canister filter system, Jandy 2 HP PHPF series main pump and a PHPF water feature 1 HP pump, non working Paramont O3 system. Pool built in 2007

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Conversion (swap out) of pool single speed to two speed pump

The easiest thing to do is to simply replace the current pump motor with a two speed motor. That you way don't have to replace any plumbing. You will save over 75% in energy costs when running on low speed but you may not always run on low speed (e.g. in-floor system).

As for the controller, I am not that familiar with it but my bet is that it can easily handle a two speed motor. Just check the manual.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner