How much stabilizer and calcium chloride to add?

May 18, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
Filling completely empty pool with new water. Ran tests on tap water going in. Couple questions, I don't want to get into the same mess as I had with high CYA level:

1. Problem with Taylor K-2006 test kit is that when I test for CYA, the gauge on the low side only goes to 30. At 30 I can still see the dot. If I assume that it is at zero, pool calculator says to add 8 lbs of CYA. But, I don't really know if it's 29, 20, 10 or zero. What is your recommendation on how much to add?

2. CH is at 50. Pool calculator recommends 48 lbs of calcium chloride to get it to 260. 48 lbs?!...really?

I've asked this question before but never got an answer. My pool is tiled, which selection do I use on pool calculator, plaster, vinyl or fiberglass. I'm guessing plaster?

Thanks, Ben.

My rule, I usually add a little less of what it says to, since adding more is easy. Overshooting sucks. So add 3 pounds of cya and 30 pounds of ch and retest and see where you are and so on... Till you reach your goal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.