Opened green

Jul 7, 2014
atco/nj
20160520_155359.jpg
I'm thinking the tarp cover has a few small holes and some leaves got in too. Plus I know I sucked alot of the treated water out through the course of sucking water off the cover throughout the winter. Guess It'll take a longer SLAM to start the season. If my cya is 0 barely registering, it is ok to add it while I'm slamming correct? I'm adding 5 lbs of stabilizer as I type this. Should bring it to 20ish.

20160520_183609.jpg.html

Looking better already

Trev, before you add any stabilizer ... because you have zero CYA and probably no FC either and the water is so green, I would suggest eliminating ammonia from the equation right off the bat. Please perform the following, and from there you can roll right into your SLAM. Of course adjust pH to about 7.2 FIRST:
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps already converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

Good luck!

Before you add the stabilizer I want you to run a simple test first. If you are adding it in a sock just pull out the sock and place it in a bowl or bucket for a few minutes until you get the results of the test.

Add enough chlorine to reach 10ppm for your pool. Run the pump and wait 10 minutes then go check the FC level. If most of the chlorine is gone in 10 minutes you should begin slamming before adding any CYA.

What he said! ^^^^

Ok. I'll pull out stabilizer first. Its only been in for a couple hours. I should note that I keep my cya around 25 to max 30 during the course of the season so i can use tabs when i go on vacation. Then i drain the pool when i close to right under the return valve so this takes the water down to about the second step. .

So far in 2 hours I lost about 2ppm so i dont think ammonia is present. I will check again in a little bit. I had already taken it up to 14ish in anticipation of the 20cya reading and dosed a little high to give me a little more time before adding again. Thanks for the help. I will check the level again in an hour

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to post a second pic from photobucket in the second post cause it told me i was over the limit, but i cant get the pic to show from the url

So far in 2 hours I lost about 2ppm so i dont think ammonia is present. I will check again in a little bit. I had already taken it up to 14ish in anticipation of the 20cya reading and dosed a little high to give me a little more time before adding again. Thanks for the help. I will check the level again in an hour

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to post a second pic from photobucket in the second post cause it told me i was over the limit, but i cant get the pic to show from the url

- - - Updated - - -

Here
20160520_183609.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
20160521_160508.jpg

20160521_160519.jpg

Getting closer. Can't make out bottom drain yet. Not having to backwash as much. I think I may have to get some DE in the filter to trap some fine particles. Havent been able to vacuum yet because of rain, but I have brushed it many times. Kinda running it by testing once then clorinating by pool math. Stupid me didnt order my refills in time but they are on the way. Good thing i know that a bottle of bleach raises fc by almost 3.

Stuck on milky blue. I guess i have to get the DE in there. I have been maintaining the FC over slam level since Friday afternoon and been brushing atleast 2X a day. Havent got to vacuum yet due to the weather but figured the more algae that was dead the better. We'll see if it goes faster once the vacuuming is done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.