Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opened green

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened green

20160520_155359.jpg
    I'm thinking the tarp cover has a few small holes and some leaves got in too. Plus I know I sucked alot of the treated water out through the course of sucking water off the cover throughout the winter. Guess It'll take a longer SLAM to start the season. If my cya is 0 barely registering, it is ok to add it while I'm slamming correct? I'm adding 5 lbs of stabilizer as I type this. Should bring it to 20ish.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened green

Looking better already
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

3. Back To Top    #3

Trev, before you add any stabilizer ... because you have zero CYA and probably no FC either and the water is so green, I would suggest eliminating ammonia from the equation right off the bat. Please perform the following, and from there you can roll right into your SLAM. Of course adjust pH to about 7.2 FIRST:
    1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps already converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
    2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
    a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
    b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
    3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
    4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Before you add the stabilizer I want you to run a simple test first. If you are adding it in a sock just pull out the sock and place it in a bowl or bucket for a few minutes until you get the results of the test.

Add enough chlorine to reach 10ppm for your pool. Run the pump and wait 10 minutes then go check the FC level. If most of the chlorine is gone in 10 minutes you should begin slamming before adding any CYA.

What he said! ^^^^
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Later tonight or tomorrow post a full set of results so we can make sure everything is going well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I'll pull out stabilizer first. Its only been in for a couple hours. I should note that I keep my cya around 25 to max 30 during the course of the season so i can use tabs when i go on vacation. Then i drain the pool when i close to right under the return valve so this takes the water down to about the second step. .
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

7. Back To Top    #7

So far in 2 hours I lost about 2ppm so i dont think ammonia is present. I will check again in a little bit. I had already taken it up to 14ish in anticipation of the 20cya reading and dosed a little high to give me a little more time before adding again. Thanks for the help. I will check the level again in an hour

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to post a second pic from photobucket in the second post cause it told me i was over the limit, but i cant get the pic to show from the url
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by TrevNJPool View Post
    So far in 2 hours I lost about 2ppm so i dont think ammonia is present. I will check again in a little bit. I had already taken it up to 14ish in anticipation of the 20cya reading and dosed a little high to give me a little more time before adding again. Thanks for the help. I will check the level again in an hour

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to post a second pic from photobucket in the second post cause it told me i was over the limit, but i cant get the pic to show from the url

- - - Updated - - -

Here
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Richard! How the heck did u do that. What url did u use? It kept telling me invalid url
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Richard! How the heck did u do that. What url did u use? It kept telling me invalid url
    On the sidebar where it says "Direct" I copied and pasted it within the image command. I unchecked the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

- - - Updated - - -

40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok in 2 hrs lost 2ppm. Is it ok to put the cya back in?
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes. You must not have ammonia or in 2 hours you'd have lost it all.

14. Back To Top    #14

Getting closer. Can't make out bottom drain yet. Not having to backwash as much. I think I may have to get some DE in the filter to trap some fine particles. Havent been able to vacuum yet because of rain, but I have brushed it many times. Kinda running it by testing once then clorinating by pool math. Stupid me didnt order my refills in time but they are on the way. Good thing i know that a bottle of bleach raises fc by almost 3.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

15. Back To Top    #15

Stuck on milky blue. I guess i have to get the DE in there. I have been maintaining the FC over slam level since Friday afternoon and been brushing atleast 2X a day. Havent got to vacuum yet due to the weather but figured the more algae that was dead the better. We'll see if it goes faster once the vacuuming is done.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

16. Back To Top    #16

Just starting to see the bottom drain. Added DE to filter

- - - Updated - - -

Test results
    FC 14
    PH WAS 7.2
    CYA ASSUMING 20
    TA 50
    CH 50
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

17. Back To Top    #17

Very good!

18. Back To Top    #18

Bottom drain is visible. I've been using DE in the filter. I have to backwash alot. Im not sure if thats normal or not.

- - - Updated - - -

40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

19. Back To Top    #19

Bottom drain is visible. I've been using DE in the filter. I have to backwash alot. Im not sure if thats normal or not.
    Not only normal but expected and a good sign. The DE will catch a lot of stuff that would slip through the sand, so it'll load up fast. The color is nice now!

20. Back To Top    #20

Does back washing blow out all the DE? I've backed down from 2 1/2 cups DE to one heaping scoop. Runs a bit longer between backwashing. Should I bump it back up?
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast