Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ms097613 Opening my 18x48 easy set pool and trying to do it the right way

1. Back To Top    #1

ms097613 Opening my 18x48 easy set pool and trying to do it the right way

We ave owned a few intex easy set pools through the last few years. This is my second year with this specific pool. We didnt cover it all winter, just drained it. Today we flipped it over and got the nasty water out. I put bleach in and scrubbed the liner as we began filling it and smoothing it out. Ive got a good test kit and the basic chemicals. We use our pool A LOT (we are a family of 8!) and it rains A LOT. Plus, in the past I dont think we ever used stabilizer so we never kept a steady chlorine level. So, here I am. I have taken college level chemistry and I am a Nursing major so I get the acid/base balance stuff but still feel unsure if I should treat this size of a pool as a seasonal or regular pool (since its 5,500 at 80% capacity)
    1500 gallon vynil liner inground pool
    Hayward super pump, Hayward sand filter
    Just bought the house, think the pool/liner were installed around 1995
    Taylor K-2600 test kit
    Filled with City water, Huntington, WV

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: ms097613 Opening my 18x48 easy set pool and trying to do it the right way

Welcome to TFP

Seasonal if you plan on using it just the summer but really its all the same

Check out below in the recommended levels, they are the same for all pools for you if you do not have the test for CYA it is ok, just use poolmath to add CYA up to 30 and use only bleach/liquid chlorine from walmart

MA is the only thing you really need from lowes everything else from walmart

I hope this helps and please ask any questions that you come up with
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Treat it as a full-sized vinyl-lined pool. That's what it is. If things go haywire, dumping and refilling it three times a season isn't really feasible.

If you go down to Suggested Goal Levels in poolmath and select vinyl/bleach/tfp it will autofill suggested levels. It will also update chlorine levels when you input different CYA values. You will note that CH can be as low as zero... so don't waste any money buying any. You should still test it, since you have the right kit and you could still get scale.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yea, Refilling is not a good option. I bet we fill it more than 80% capacity too. I am excited to take matters into my own hands after the pool store robbed me blind lol
    1500 gallon vynil liner inground pool
    Hayward super pump, Hayward sand filter
    Just bought the house, think the pool/liner were installed around 1995
    Taylor K-2600 test kit
    Filled with City water, Huntington, WV