french drain under liner pool?

Feb 25, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I have seen a few gunite shell pools that put in french drains under the pool to keep them from floating.

But i haven't read about any liner pools with them. Water behind behind the liner isn't nearly as serious as a pool shell floating but I would like to avoid it.

My water table is well below my deep end, but right now the clay is keeping a puddle that doesnt drain for several days after a small rain shower.

Should i be concerned or am I overthinking this?

Do you put a pump in the drain basin or how do you get the water out?

Edit: This is concerning my pool build - nothing but a hole in the ground so far.

Thanks

Last edited:
So you have water under the pool?

There are several ways to attack this and much of it depends on your individual situation.

One simple way is to have several dry wells scattered around the perimeter of your pool. If you have water under the pool you drop a pump down one of the wells and pump out the water. That usually lowers the water under the pool.

But That is just an example of a solution. The best thing to do is bring in a local landscape contractor (or 2) and have them give you a plan and some bids. That way you know some prices and get some ideas based on your local situation.

Sorry this is for a future pool. I just have the hole excavated so far and want to know if i should put in anything under the actual pool.

I like the dry well idea better though - i'd prefer something i could access in the future and not something under the pool.

I would definitely get a landscape contractor out. If you need french drains now is the time for it. Though generally you don't want them under the pool. You want to put them upslope of the pool or under the ground so they naturally move the water out. That takes planning and some sort of slope.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.