I got cocky

nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Well, I've been a member for awhile here now and feel that I have a full grasp of everything. In fact, I often help newbies with their problems because I've learned so much on this site.

My CYA is 50 and I maintain my FC religiously between 4-6 ppm with manual dosing. I am OCD about testing my FC, I often do it every day and for sure no less than every other day. My pool is the sparkliest pool on the block and I take great pride in it. Everyone who sees it comments how pretty and clean it is. Well they do say that Pride comes before a fall, right?

Well I think my mistake was letting my FC drift too close to the 4 number. We've had a ton of rain here in the last week and I've had to do several partial drains and still even overflowed a bit. ONE time I checked my FC and it was at 3. It has been right at 4 a couple of times too, though.

Bottom line is that I think I have algae. I was hoping it was just dirt with the extra rain we've had but it sure looks fuzzy and it's clinging to the walls which dirt never does. I will do an OCLT tonight to confirm.

I think the lesson is maybe not to push it too close to the minimum FC level, even if you test almost every day like I do. From now on I think I will keep it between 6-8 to be safe.

I'm also hoping this will be a short SLAM, if necessary.

Anybody else had this happen while just going under for a brief time?

Last summer, my FC dropped to 2 ppm (3 was my minimum at the time). This was due to a mouse being stuck in the skimmer for probably three days in late August while I was out of town. Developed algae on the underside of my ladder rungs (ladder is about 6 feet from the skimmer) and a bit in a shady corner of the pool nearest the skimmer. Locally in that corner of the pool, the FC was probably less than 2 because of the decaying mouse though.

Make sure with an OCLT before you panic. I've had mine drop low a few times but never had any issues due to it. Note I was never zero, but was dangerously low.

Yeah, that's the thing. I was never at zero either, just the one time 3 reading and several 4's.

I'll let you know how the OCLT turns out. Fingers crossed. One question: Should I run the pump overnight during the OCLT or does it matter?

I figure maybe a decaying mouse is equal to 10 inches of rain then? LOL

Do you keep your FC level a touch higher now?

I still only add when the FC drops below 4 when my CYA is 40. Many times it's at 3.5 when I dose again, rarely at 3.

But my CYA is still down around 30 from winter drain/spring refill. I'll be bumping it up again to 40 soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Should I run the pump overnight during the OCLT or does it matter?

Yes. Low speed is fine.

Sorry to hear that. Last year was our first year and we were doing the bioguard 3 step program. Ran 2-4 FC with CYA around 30-50 without issue. Then again that was when I had dipsticks.
Keep saying I must be lucky that I didn't get algae.

Yep...happened to me this week actually. I'm the only one who takes care of the pool. I've often told the hubs and mom if something happens to me and y'all let my pool turn green I'm gonna be one mad....well you know. As I take care of the pool they both just watch as if in a trance. Well I got sick last week and the last thing on my mind was testing, etc. FC fell below minimum so for the last 2 days been slamming, testing and vacuuming fever and all. I've come to the conclusion every woman needs a wife!! All is well now with the pool that is.

Yep...happened to me this week actually. I'm the only one who takes care of the pool. I've often told the hubs and mom if something happens to me and y'all let my pool turn green I'm gonna be one mad....well you know. As I take care of the pool they both just watch as if in a trance. Well I got sick last week and the last thing on my mind was testing, etc. FC fell below minimum so for the last 2 days been slamming, testing and vacuuming fever and all. I've come to the conclusion every woman needs a wife!! All is well now with the pool that is.

Funny story, made me laugh out loud. Glad I'm not the only one!

You are SO not the only one! I am willing to bet that quite a few of us have had the same thing happen.........mine was when my husband thought it was okay for him to skip the side brushing (his ONLY job with the pool). I was in swimming when I noticed there was some light green on the side of the pool. I called him over to the pool and asked when was the last time he brushed the pool. "I am not sure but it looks okay". I then rubbed my hand over the side and a light cloud of green came off! Here is his face :shock: then he :splash: and brushed the pool! He has not missed any more brushing since then! LOL

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, I had to do a little SLAM last summer. First one in over 3 years. I had a few algae patches in the grout under the waterfall and algae inside my cleaner. Now, I make my min FC level based on target and up! Bleach in the pool every time people come over. I figure a gallon or two on a weekend is better than a gallon or two per day!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.