Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I got cocky

1. Back To Top    #1

I got cocky

Well, I've been a member for awhile here now and feel that I have a full grasp of everything. In fact, I often help newbies with their problems because I've learned so much on this site.

My CYA is 50 and I maintain my FC religiously between 4-6 ppm with manual dosing. I am OCD about testing my FC, I often do it every day and for sure no less than every other day. My pool is the sparkliest pool on the block and I take great pride in it. Everyone who sees it comments how pretty and clean it is. Well they do say that Pride comes before a fall, right?

Well I think my mistake was letting my FC drift too close to the 4 number. We've had a ton of rain here in the last week and I've had to do several partial drains and still even overflowed a bit. ONE time I checked my FC and it was at 3. It has been right at 4 a couple of times too, though.

Bottom line is that I think I have algae. I was hoping it was just dirt with the extra rain we've had but it sure looks fuzzy and it's clinging to the walls which dirt never does. I will do an OCLT tonight to confirm.

I think the lesson is maybe not to push it too close to the minimum FC level, even if you test almost every day like I do. From now on I think I will keep it between 6-8 to be safe.

I'm also hoping this will be a short SLAM, if necessary.

Anybody else had this happen while just going under for a brief time?
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I got cocky

Last summer, my FC dropped to 2 ppm (3 was my minimum at the time). This was due to a mouse being stuck in the skimmer for probably three days in late August while I was out of town. Developed algae on the underside of my ladder rungs (ladder is about 6 feet from the skimmer) and a bit in a shady corner of the pool nearest the skimmer. Locally in that corner of the pool, the FC was probably less than 2 because of the decaying mouse though.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I figure maybe a decaying mouse is equal to 10 inches of rain then? LOL

Do you keep your FC level a touch higher now?
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Make sure with an OCLT before you panic. I've had mine drop low a few times but never had any issues due to it. Note I was never zero, but was dangerously low.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Make sure with an OCLT before you panic. I've had mine drop low a few times but never had any issues due to it. Note I was never zero, but was dangerously low.
    Yeah, that's the thing. I was never at zero either, just the one time 3 reading and several 4's.

I'll let you know how the OCLT turns out. Fingers crossed. One question: Should I run the pump overnight during the OCLT or does it matter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by nlindelldc View Post
    I figure maybe a decaying mouse is equal to 10 inches of rain then? LOL

Do you keep your FC level a touch higher now?
    I still only add when the FC drops below 4 when my CYA is 40. Many times it's at 3.5 when I dose again, rarely at 3.

But my CYA is still down around 30 from winter drain/spring refill. I'll be bumping it up again to 40 soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nlindelldc View Post
    Should I run the pump overnight during the OCLT or does it matter?
    Yes. Low speed is fine.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry to hear that. Last year was our first year and we were doing the bioguard 3 step program. Ran 2-4 FC with CYA around 30-50 without issue. Then again that was when I had dipsticks.
    Keep saying I must be lucky that I didn't get algae.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep...happened to me this week actually. I'm the only one who takes care of the pool. I've often told the hubs and mom if something happens to me and y'all let my pool turn green I'm gonna be one mad....well you know. As I take care of the pool they both just watch as if in a trance. Well I got sick last week and the last thing on my mind was testing, etc. FC fell below minimum so for the last 2 days been slamming, testing and vacuuming fever and all. I've come to the conclusion every woman needs a wife!! All is well now with the pool that is.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    Yep...happened to me this week actually. I'm the only one who takes care of the pool. I've often told the hubs and mom if something happens to me and y'all let my pool turn green I'm gonna be one mad....well you know. As I take care of the pool they both just watch as if in a trance. Well I got sick last week and the last thing on my mind was testing, etc. FC fell below minimum so for the last 2 days been slamming, testing and vacuuming fever and all. I've come to the conclusion every woman needs a wife!! All is well now with the pool that is.
    Funny story, made me laugh out loud. Glad I'm not the only one!

10. Back To Top    #10

You are SO not the only one! I am willing to bet that quite a few of us have had the same thing happen.........mine was when my husband thought it was okay for him to skip the side brushing (his ONLY job with the pool). I was in swimming when I noticed there was some light green on the side of the pool. I called him over to the pool and asked when was the last time he brushed the pool. "I am not sure but it looks okay". I then rubbed my hand over the side and a light cloud of green came off! Here is his face then he and brushed the pool! He has not missed any more brushing since then! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Yep, I had to do a little SLAM last summer. First one in over 3 years. I had a few algae patches in the grout under the waterfall and algae inside my cleaner. Now, I make my min FC level based on target and up! Bleach in the pool every time people come over. I figure a gallon or two on a weekend is better than a gallon or two per day!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach