Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened pool, CYA has gone

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened pool, CYA has gone

I had 50-60 ppm of CYA in the pool last year when closing; drained maybe 1/6 of the pool so was expecting to open with 50ppm. I've opened this year to 0. I double checked my method and my reagents with the 50ppm calibrated sample from tftestkits and it's definitely gone.

I'm going to use dichlor to raise the CYA level as I'm currently SLAMming with bleach, but dichlor will work just as well and will also give me pretty instant CYA.

Any thoughts about this process? IIRC CYA isn't supposed to just "disappear" without draining all the water and starting again, so I guess something has used it up, but I've no idea what.

Any opinions on a better method to SLAM and increase CYA at the same time than dichlor?
    30k IG Vinyl pool with DE filter in Fairfield, CT. Liner replaced ~2009, pool purchased (with house) in May 2014. TF100 test kit. iRobot Mirra. 2015 first BBB season.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened pool, CYA has gone

Welcome to TFP!

CYA disappearing over the winter is pretty common. Using dichlor or trichlor at the beginning of the year is a good plan.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Your dichlor process is just fine. You know how much CYA it adds so be cautious.

Often, CYA will return to 0...most often, it seems, in a covered, winterized pool. No harm done except the CYA "got gone" and you will need more.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA dropping to 0 over the winter often means there is ammonia in the pool requiring a lot of FC.

I would not add any CYA until you verify you do not have an ammonia problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It looks like I had a little CYA, just not enough to register on the test; I added 6lbs of powdered CYA (most cost-effective - $30 - thing the pool store had; I'm not paying $18 per 2 lbs of dichlor!) and that should have put me up to 30 ppm; the test is now registering 40-ish ppm. FC is stabilizing better during the day and SLAM is continuing.

From reading on here, CYA "doesn't disappear" but if people see that regularly, maybe this should be mentioned that CYA can disappear, especially over winter, and that you should test it once your water is clear enough from opening?
    30k IG Vinyl pool with DE filter in Fairfield, CT. Liner replaced ~2009, pool purchased (with house) in May 2014. TF100 test kit. iRobot Mirra. 2015 first BBB season.

6. Back To Top    #6

We always recommend testing. Never assume anything after the winter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

He has a point, though - it is frequently asserted here that the only way to get rid of CYA is to drain.
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

He has a point, though - it is frequently asserted here that the only way to get rid of CYA is to drain.
    Well, it is. You may attempt to lose the CYA through "winter consumption", but TFP has no idea what triggers that. It may get gone and it may not.

So, we still have to say the only reliable way is to drain. TFP has no explanation why it goes away and no idea how to stop it from becoming zero.

In time, we will have a better handle on this. Years ago, we thought it was a complete oddity and treated it as such. Now, through anecdotal reports of our members, we are learning it is not quite the oddity we thought.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

My CYA was gone when we opened this year as well. Cleaned pool well and added chlorine to shock level just prior to closing, also.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ditto. My CYA was zero when I opened this year. Pool was at FC 14.5 and CYA 40 when I closed it last September.
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac, Extreme mesh safety cover, TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Often when bacteria consumes CYA it converts it to ammonia which requires huge amounts of chlorine/bleach to oxidize. Dozens of gallons in a couple of days just to get the FC to hold at all. Has to be cheaper and more reliable to drain than it would be to try to induce bacterial CYA consumption.

From joyfulnoise recently,
    Every 10ppm of CYA converts in ~3ppm ammonia. It then takes 10 times as much chlorine to neutralize the ammonia. So 100pm of CYA degraded would create 30ppm of ammonia which would take over 300ppm worth of chlorine to neutralize. That's roughly 62 gallons of 8.25% bleach in an 18,000 gallon swimming pool. At a cost of ~$3/gallon, you'd be looking at over $180 in bleach.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

I still think some brands "hold" better than others, but that was just anecdotally when I switched to different tabs (just bringing cya up 6-8 ppm).
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

13. Back To Top    #13

If the top mark on the CYA vial is 30 and the black dot still appears, how are folks determining that their CYA is indeed 0 when opening? Is their another calibration method to determine sub 30 CYA?
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

14. Back To Top    #14

Opened pool, CYA has gone

Ok, it should be noted that there are two ways for CYA to degrade - bacterial conversion to ammonia & nitrates AND chlorine oxidation.

Chlorine oxidation is often too slow to really matter unless you have a pool that is open all year round and the water stays relatively warm. Hot tubs typically suffer from this type of CYA loss as their temperatures are higher and chlorine levels are sometimes spiked quite high given their small volumes.

Bacterial conversion to ammonia can happen if the correct bacteria type is present. Ammonia can then be utilized by other bacterial species and algae as an alternate energy source. The end product is the conversion of ammonia to nitrates/nitrites. There are even bacterial species that will further degrade nitrates and nitrites into nitrogen gas.

However, while the biological conversion of CYA into ammonia is understood in the context of a laboratory Petri dish, it is not obvious or easily specified on how this process plays out in over-wintered pool water. Many environmental and pool care practices can affect this process so there is absolutely no way, a priori, to know if you will lose CYA or not. Because if this, TFP does not mention this as there is no certain way to know. Information like this is usually found in old threads that any user can find just by typing in some simple search terms.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

15. Back To Top    #15

Depends how well you can see the dot
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

The top line on the test vial is 20 ppm.

My CYA was at zero or near zero.

Ammonia? Is there a test for that?

It didn't take a lot of chlorine to clear my swamp. 80 oz dichlor and 4 gal 12.5% liquid chlorine.
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac, Extreme mesh safety cover, TF-100 test kit.

17. Back To Top    #17

If your FC is holding now then the ammonia is gone or wasn't there to begin with. You can use an ammonia test from an aquarium shop.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by alben View Post
    The top line on the test vial is 20 ppm.
    Regardless is 20 or 30. The concept still the same. If you fill the vial and still see the black dot, you don't know if you are at 0 or slightly greater.

This whole bacterial derogation into ammonia causing loss of Cyanuric Acid is news to me. I am glad to finally read this concept as it always perplexed me how much CYA I have to add every year despite only taking about 6-7" of water off the pool.

No matter how clean I close my pool and despite that I have a safety solid cover, the deepest point of the pool is always loaded with dead earth worms come the spring. After reading above, I am now theorizing that this is a major cause of bacteria in the pool over the winter. Would you guys agree?
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

19. Back To Top    #19

My first vacuum of the season resulted in about 1/2" layer of earthworms in the skimmer basket. Maybe they contain the type of bacteria to start the CYA breakdown process per your theory.