Replacement for Hayward Phantom - Hayward TriVac 700???

May 24, 2013
Essex County, NJ
I got a Hayward Phantom when my pool was built in 2008. I had some problems with it while it was under warranty and twice Hayward sent me new or refurbished Phantom Turbo units and didn't ask for the old unit back. Over the years, I've been able to scavenge parts to repair my Phantom. The Phantom has always been a little quirky and I currently can't seem to get it to automatically alternate between skimming the top and cleaning the bottom. I have always found a way to fix or deal with the quirks. Hayward discontinued the Phantom a few years ago and parts are getting harder to find.

Hayward announced a new line of pressure side cleaners, TriVac 500 and TriVac 700. The 500 apparently only does the bottom and walls, the 700 does the bottom, walls and also skims the top like my Phantom is supposed to do. The 500 is available online and the 700 was supposed to be available starting in April 2016 only in brick and mortar pool stores and from pool professionals.

Has anyone looked into these cleaners, particularly the 700? I've seen a couple reviews on the 500 on Amazon but no word on the 700 other than a press release from Hayward. Is it available yet and if so, what is the cost?

Is there a better pressure side cleaner out there that I can replace my Phantom with and still utilize my 3/4hp booster pump and connect to the outlet on the side of my pool? I don't want a suction cleaner and I really don't want a "robot".

The TriVac 700 is available through brick and mortar pool stores and professional pool servicers only. It is not sold online. The cleaner is different from the old Phantom in that it has the ability to clean the top or bottom of your pool by just moving a simple dial on the top of the unit. It is not automatic. You move the dial based on what you want to clean. In the spring and fall when there are a lot of leaves on top of the pool you would probably keep it on top mode. In the summer, you would put it on bottom mode. If your local pool retailer does not have one in stock, they can order it. It retails for about $750 and has a $100 rebate. Go to the hayward.com website to redeem the rebate and /or watch the video.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.