Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I use recirculate while putting DE in my sand filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I use recirculate while putting DE in my sand filter?

I am still trying to clear my murky green pool SLAMing since 5/11 and am to the stage where I am not seeing much change day to day. It is still cloudy sea green looking somewhat blue around the edges so I have started adding DE to the skimmer basket. I backwash after a few hours but am wondering if I use recirculate if that would be more helpful (after reading one of my questions from years past about what recirculate is used for.) I know from last year it will take a few weeks to clear but am trying to accelerate the process again. Is recirculate useful for this?

FC = 15
    pH = 7.2
    CYA = 40

Thanks for any input.
    18,000 gallon IG vinyl
    Hayward S220T sand filter, replaced sand 2013
    Sta-Rite pump, 1HP?
    New liner, 5/12; pool built in 1981;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I use recirculate while putting DE in my sand filter?

Without DE, are you needing to backwash frequently?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are in recirculate mode when adding DE, the DE will not even get in your filter and will just be sprayed out into the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh okay thanks. That's definitely not what I want.

- - - Updated - - -

No I have not needed to backwash as frequently without DE.
    18,000 gallon IG vinyl
    Hayward S220T sand filter, replaced sand 2013
    Sta-Rite pump, 1HP?
    New liner, 5/12; pool built in 1981;

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Im not seeing test results. Do you test your own water? Specifically total alkalinity and calcium hardness.
    Last edited by BellissimoH2O; 05-20-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Left out important detail

6. Back To Top    #6

Recirculate is good if your pool is really full of sludge and it clogs up the filter quickly and you can't be around to watch the pressure. Times like working and sleeping...

If the water's still greenish, algae's still growing and no amount of filtering will clear it. You'll remove the dead stuff but what's still alive in the water will just grow some more.

San filters actually filter best when they're a little dirty,. so backwashing more often than you must actually makes it filter worse. So watch the gauge. When it climbs 25%, then backwash. Concentrate more on maintaining FC levels and brushing. Algae will grow a slimy film - sort of a scab - to protect itself. You want to brush that off so it can be exposed and killed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!