Help set me straight! Pool Pilot & Pump Questions

May 13, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I've found a lot of useful information here but I have some specific questions. I'm a first time pool owner after purchasing this home. Its a salt water set up. The house had been sitting vacant for a few months and the pool was green when I took ownership.

Present day the pool was drained, acid washed, refilled. The cell cord has been replaced, some grids in the filter have been replaced, all skimmers cleaned, cell and tri sensor cleaned. The cell is 18 months old.

Everything seems to be running normally right now. I just realized that the tri sensor had been installed backwards so the flow arrow was pointed in the wrong direction.

Actual question: How should I program the pool pilot and pump. The pump is currenlty programed to "external timer" so I am assuming it is controlled by the control panel in the house. The maintenance menu has options for program pump 1 and program pump 2. I am currently running the pool pilot unit from 10am to 5pm everyday. How should I set this up to maximize chlorine production?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Carlos

With a good test kit you know exactly what your water needs or doesn't. The "Pool Calculator" is a great tool to use. Don't use your SWCG to shock the pool, it will extent the life of the cell. If and when you need to replace the pump consider a 2 speed, variable speed, or variable flow. It will save alot on electricity.

I should have been more careful with my words. I am not by any means trying to produce a chlorine factory. I do want to make sure the chemistry in the water is appropriate for my pool. I am looking for some feedback as to how I should set up the run times for my auto pilot and pump. And whether the pump should be run by the external timer or by the pump control 1 and 2. :goodjob:

The AutoPilot unit can be installed in two different ways, either the AutoPilot turns the pump on and off, or some external timer turns both the pump and the AutoPilot on and off at the same time. From your description I can't be sure, but it sounds like there is an external timer turning both the pump and AutoPilot on and off together. This setup is hardwired, and you need to figure out which way it was installed.

Assuming there is an external timer, you do not program the pump run time settings on the AutoPilot. You only setup the percentage setting. You should check to see how the external timer is currently setup for a starting point in adjusting your pump runtime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.