New homeowner and, as a result, pool owner... Now what?

May 20, 2016
Harmony, RI
Hi,

I recently became a homeowner for the first time in my life and, along with that, a pool owner too. The home I purchased had fallen into disrepair and went into foreclosure. A contractor purchased it to "flip" and redid nearly all aspects of the home. He did not, however, touch the pool whatsoever. I took ownership of this outdoor, above ground, supposedly "30 foot" round pool which was not covered. By all appearances, it has been left to sit for at least a few seasons with no attention and never having been closed. The water was very dark brownish green at first:

image.jpg

There was no hardware with this pool, so we purchased a Hayward pump and sand filter which we set up and started to run. We took a sample to the pool store and were sold a few things, which we have been using. Instead of cloudy green, the water is now cloudy blue:

image.jpg

While this certainly seems like a bit of an improvement, it's still awfully murky and we can't see the bottom. There's a pattern on the liner that can only be seen as far down as a few inches below the surface of the water.

At at this point, I'm not sure what I should do. We bought a floating chlorine dispenser that we loaded up with chlorine tablets, but every time we open it to refill it the tabs we put in days earlier are still there. I'm wondering if they aren't dissolving or if this is normally something that just happens (maybe a very slow consumption process?) There are two big tubs of liquid chlorine in the garage from the previous owners which I haven't opened but am considering. If I do, I'm not entirely sure how much to pour in and if there's any "right way" to do it.

The other concern I have is that it seems as though I am endlessly scooping debris out of the bottom. I've spent hours and hours scooping but it seems like I just can't get everything out. The material is so heavy that it has led to two broken poles and one broken skimmer net so far. This process is made much harder by the fact that I can't see the bottom to know what is down there and where. Will the pool clear enough for me to see what I'm scooping or is the presence of all this junk on the bottom the reason it's not clearing up? I feel like vacuuming the pool can't possibly be an option at this point since I think it must have so much junk that it's too much for a vacuum to handle and may be bad for my hardware. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

You're definitely right to not put your vacuum in yet. If you don't have a leaf rake (large net that attaches to a pole), get one and start getting that gunk out of the bottom. Your pool appears nowhere near as bad as some of the ones on this site. It may seem daunting at first, but it will be worth it!

There are many things to read, and depending on the date on the liquid chlorine you have, it may or may not be of any use. The best thing to do is get yourself a good test kit and see what your numbers are. Once you've done that, input the results into the pool-math calculator. That will tell you how much chlorine you will need to slam your pool and get it sparkling.

I know others who are more knowledgeable will be around shortly!

Edited for grammatical purposes.

Andy, welcome to TFP! :wave: You can clear that water, but you have to take 100% control of the pool starting with water testing. See the TF-100 link below in my sig. Free testing is just a way to get you to buy their products. No one will test and take better care of your water than YOU, so make that priority #1 (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C)

Next, to clear the water you need to "SLAM" (link also below). Of course you need one of those test kits to SLAM properly, but it's not real hard, just take a little time and regular bleach. You will however need to continue removing the physical debris as best as you can. Larger solids won't break-down and will just continue to use-up your free chlorine and hamper your progress, so do the best you can to remove everything below.

For now, just add about 1/2 - 1 gallon of regular bleach per day to the water - generic is fine (no scented or splashless products). Order one of those recommended test kits and post a full set of numbers and we can help you get control of that water. Great to have you with us.

If you can get your hands on a fiberglass pool pole (i.e. if you want to pay for one - they are more expensive), that will take care of the pole breaking issue. The only issue I have with them (and why I don't use one) is that when rubbed along concrete/stone coping, they will splinter and those fiberglass splinters will end up in your hands. With metal at the top that probably wouldn't happen and you can likely keep the pole from hitting the tops of the walls at all.

Thanks for all the advice you have shared so far. I'm going to the store today to get the appropriate chemicals to SLAM.

As an aside, here are all the chemicals I've been sold to date when I've gone to the pool store for help prior to finding this forum. Any thoughts on these products? Are they just cashing in on me because I don't know what I'm doing?
BysbRAY.jpg

I do plan to get some of the recommended testing materials above but for now I grabbed a cheapie kit at a local store to get started right away. No surprise, pretty much everything is reading the lowest possible level. Specifically:
pH 6.2
FC 10 but my girlfriend just put in "a bunch of" liquid chlorine two hours prior. Was 0 when last checked despite the chlorine tab dispenser floating around in the pool for a week.
Total Alk 0
Stabilizer 0

And here's a pic of today's status. We've had a bit of regression from cloudy blue back down to murky green. At this point I'd love to just be able to see the bottom to even know how much junk is down there. I'm guessing it isn't pretty despite hours spent scooping load after load of junk out. I'm noticing the pump needing to be backwasked very often, sometimes every hour or two. I'm assuming that's a good thing happening because it's catching so much junk right?

z0C9Gx4.jpg

Thanks!
Andy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.