Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reducing water level after rain-not sure how

1. Back To Top    #1

Reducing water level after rain-not sure how

After a pretty long dry spell where we were having to add water to our pool we got about 4 inches of rain recently. Now the water level in the pool is at the top of the skimmer and the surface of the pool isn't getting cleaned. Depending on the weather forecast (more rain or not) I may need to drain off a little water. We have a cartridge filter that has a hose bibb on the bottom, would that be where I would drain water from? With the pump running? I'm guessing I could hook up my garden hose to the hose bibb and just run the water to the gutter in front of the house?
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Reducing water level after rain-not sure how

Yes, I have done that exact same thing with my cartridge filter as well. The garden hose works perfect to direct the water where you want it to go. Keep an eye on the pool to ensure you don't go too low.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Yes, I have done that exact same thing with my cartridge filter as well. The garden hose works perfect to direct the water where you want it to go. Keep an eye on the pool to ensure you don't go too low.
    Perfect! Thanks so much!!
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

4. Back To Top    #4

We have a separate ball valve (1-1/2" maybe) that's plumbed off the discharge side of the cartridge filter. Connected to that is a blue flexible tube that can be rolled up when not in use. It allows me to drain excess water very quickly. I ran it for about 15 minutes this morning and dropped my pool level by about 3". We've had a lot of rain this week, so it was needed.
    16,000 gal, IGP, Saltwater, Screened, Pentair: variable-speed pump, cartridge filter, heat pump, colored LED lights, KrystalKrete finish, Paver pool deck, built in 2016.