Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New owner of older pool, possible broken laterals. Need Help/suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

New owner of older pool, possible broken laterals. Need Help/suggestions

Hello everyone,
    My family and I recently bought a new house and it came with a pool. I am new to owning an IG pool. I am in the process of getting the water balanced and clear after opening it. I have vacuumed the pool and have notice more new dirt/ sand accumulating in the pool. 99% positive it is sand. My thoughts are that I have a broken lateral in the sand filter. I have a 36,00 gallon 20x40 IG pool. I am running a 1 1/2hp hayward super pump and it has a hayward sand filter. The pool was built in 1998 and we live in the Syracuse area of NY State. So here are my questions.

-Are my thoughts correct with the broken lateral? or is there another possible issue?
    -Should I pull filter apart and replace sand and inspect/fix laterals?

OR since I have an issue with the filter and will have to fix it anyway, do I upgrade to a DE filter? I have been thinking this because my research shows that DE filters filter better than sand. Is this true and would I be wasting my money upgrading to a DE filter (does DE really do that much better of a job)?

Thanks
    Ryan
    IG vinyl, 20'x40'-36,000 gallons, Hayward sand filter & Hayward 1 1/2 hp super pump, municipal water when topping off.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New owner of older pool, possible broken laterals. Need Help/suggestions

You will be wasting money in either case unless you KNOW it is sand and the only possible source is your filter. Make sure it is sand first. Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Turn off pump. Let it sit for 30 min or more. Have someone hold a sock in front of return. Turn on pump. After a few seconds see if you have sand in sock.

I personally would not change to a DE filter even if someone gave it to me for free.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice!
    IG vinyl, 20'x40'-36,000 gallons, Hayward sand filter & Hayward 1 1/2 hp super pump, municipal water when topping off.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

DE does filter finer than sand but they all have drawbacks and benefits. Unless you don't like your sand filter, fix it because it's what you are used to.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School