Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does high CYA protect swimmers from effects of high chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does high CYA protect swimmers from effects of high chlorine?

Since the higher your CYA, the less effective your FC is in fighting algae etc and you need higher chlorine levels if you need to slam does high CYA protect swimmers who may be allergic to chlorine and or may not want their bathing suits faded from high chlorine levels? I have read instructions in the past, on shock products, that indicate not to go into the pool when chlorine is more than 5 ppm. If my CYA was 100 my FC goal would be 5 to 13 ppm but if I had no CYA and had an indoor pool then my FC goal would be 1 to 3. Would both of these scenarios have the same effect on people, bathing suits and vinyl liners? Thanks. Just curious.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does high CYA protect swimmers from effects of high chlorine?

You are correct.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Take a look at this chart which shows the active chlorine levels. Our recommendations are actually much less harsh than a pool with 0 cya and a FC of 1ppm

http://richardfalk.home.comcast.net/.../pool/HOCl.htm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Not quite. With no CYA, 3 ppm of FC would be much harsher, very harsh actually, than FC of 39 and CYA at 100. We SLAMed last summer with CYA at 70 and FC at 28 for about 2 weeks. We swam every day and nobody even noticed the difference from the normal FC level of 8ish.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach