Basic testing with FC of 6

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I currently have a CYA of 50 so my FC needs to be between 4 and 8 with a target of 6. The K1000 test only goes to 5. I was wondering what anyone is doing to test for an FC of 6 besides using the true test for FC. It would be awesome if I could just use the K1000 kit to test the FC and pH each day and then do the "real" test once or twice a week.

Eventually you will settle in to a very predictable rhythm of chlorine addition. At that point the OTO test will be enough to verify daily that nothing has gone horribly wrong with your chemistry and the FAS-DPD test for once or twice a week for more accurate numbers. Until you find that rhythm though using the FAS-DPD test daily or every other day is best.

The TF-100 is a custom kit put together for EXACTLY the purpose you are describing. I have a dog in the fight, but you are describing your needs that will fit perfectly.
I currently have the TF-100 with zero complaints. I just wanted to see if anyone had a secret to using the "daily" kit instead of using the FAS-DPD kit everyday.

Eventually you will settle in to a very predictable rhythm of chlorine addition. At that point the OTO test will be enough to verify daily that nothing has gone horribly wrong with your chemistry and the FAS-DPD test for once or twice a week for more accurate numbers. Until you find that rhythm though using the FAS-DPD test daily or every other day is best.
I typically use 2ppm per day. I do not want the FC to drop below 4 but the OTO only goes to 5. If I have it at 5 and loose 2ppm then I am below my recommended lever by 1ppm. I have no way of knowing how high above 5 I am with the OTO test... Does that make since? Do I need to do both test everyday until I can recognize the color of 6 instead of 5? Just looking for options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.