Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Basic testing with FC of 6

1. Back To Top    #1

Basic testing with FC of 6

I currently have a CYA of 50 so my FC needs to be between 4 and 8 with a target of 6. The K1000 test only goes to 5. I was wondering what anyone is doing to test for an FC of 6 besides using the true test for FC. It would be awesome if I could just use the K1000 kit to test the FC and pH each day and then do the "real" test once or twice a week.
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Basic testing with FC of 6

The TF-100 is a custom kit put together for EXACTLY the purpose you are describing. I have a dog in the fight, but you are describing your needs that will fit perfectly.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Eventually you will settle in to a very predictable rhythm of chlorine addition. At that point the OTO test will be enough to verify daily that nothing has gone horribly wrong with your chemistry and the FAS-DPD test for once or twice a week for more accurate numbers. Until you find that rhythm though using the FAS-DPD test daily or every other day is best.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    The TF-100 is a custom kit put together for EXACTLY the purpose you are describing. I have a dog in the fight, but you are describing your needs that will fit perfectly.
    I currently have the TF-100 with zero complaints. I just wanted to see if anyone had a secret to using the "daily" kit instead of using the FAS-DPD kit everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Eventually you will settle in to a very predictable rhythm of chlorine addition. At that point the OTO test will be enough to verify daily that nothing has gone horribly wrong with your chemistry and the FAS-DPD test for once or twice a week for more accurate numbers. Until you find that rhythm though using the FAS-DPD test daily or every other day is best.
    I typically use 2ppm per day. I do not want the FC to drop below 4 but the OTO only goes to 5. If I have it at 5 and loose 2ppm then I am below my recommended lever by 1ppm. I have no way of knowing how high above 5 I am with the OTO test... Does that make since? Do I need to do both test everyday until I can recognize the color of 6 instead of 5? Just looking for options.
    18x36 inground / 28k gal / Phanton vinyl liner (replaced in 2009) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Just make sure the Oto test has a dark yellow and you probably are fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks... I may just take a picture of what it looks like at 6, 7, 8 and then compare to that when I use the OTO test. At least it would give me a guidline.