Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hose doesn't fit new vacuum head

1. Back To Top    #1

Hose doesn't fit new vacuum head

New home with vinyl-liner pool came with a vacuum head for concrete pools (rectangular w/ wheels). I bought a triangular vacuum head for a vinyl liner from Lowes. The coupling on the new head looks and measures the same as the one on the old vacuum head, but when connecting the hose to the new head it doesn't have enough friction to grip. The outside diameter of the new head coupling is the tiniest bit smaller than the old one.

I don't want to buy a new hose.

I am going to try to find some kind of hose adapter or collar or thick rubber band to put on the new vacuum head coupling to produce enough friction with the hose to hold it on.

Anyone else dealt with this?

Some photos of the type of heads I'm dealing with.
    Last edited by ronwell; 05-20-2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added links to images

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hose doesn't fit new vacuum head

I've had an issue as my hose is older and I think it's lost some grip as the rubber/vinyl has relaxed. I ended up using a stainless steel hose clamp as I was tired of it coming off on me.
    They have them with a wing on them so it's easily removable without tools.

Auto parts stores, maybe big box too. MasterPro Hose Clamps MP5Y028V - Hose Clamp With Tightening Key | O'Reilly Auto Parts
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My hose has hard plastic, unflexible fittings on the ends. I'd have to cut those off to use a hose clamp. I don't want to do that, nor fool with hose clamps each time I vacuum.

- - - Updated - - -

Other ideas I had were some sort of water proof tape passed around the vacuum head coupling to increase it's outside diameter or layer of caulk around it (but this could get messy).

4. Back To Top    #4

Drill a hole through the fitting and vacuum. Run a short screw through to hold them together.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

Wrapped w/ duct tape and got it to fit snug.