New White Plaster April 30th. Darkened gray brown stains and small brown spotting.

yellow12

Silver Supporter
Oct 15, 2015
Vail, AZ
I am freaking out about stains that started appearing in the plaster especially visible in the early morning or evening in the lagoon and bench. They are large. This started before the grass and is not fertilizer. I have been brushing and adding acid (a lot) since it has risen over 8.0 at times. It started week 3 and has not extended the last 2 weeks. The plaster was installed April 30th. I can keep it under 7.6 the last 2 weeks.
The plaster guy came out last Friday and said it is calcium trapping dirt, applied some muratic acid and scrubbed with sand paper, and said it does remove, (I didn't see much remove at all), and he would give recommendations to the builder. When the builder came out, he applied some descale product and put in the salt since it is now 6 weeks. He said there wasn't much to do about the stains and it would happen because of the water here being so hard (half CAP from Colorado River and half ground surface water high in rock and minerals) and especially high in calcium. He basically did a shoulder shrug and said the plaster is still curing, the scaling will be a constant battle, staining will appear, and he doesn't recommend an acid wash because it would harm and weaken the plaster. He said I should lower the ph down to 7.2 to 7.4 and keep brushing and clean the cartridge filter. I did both. I am not happy about this occurring so early. If our fill water was an issue, we were willing to have it treated or even get a filter special for it or I would have chosen to tint the plaster a light gray brown to hide discolorations better. I want an even look especially where it is so noticeable in the lagoon and bench.
I got metal remover tonight and will see if it helps over the next 24 hours. It works with the pH low and chlorine below 2.0 Any advise is welcome. Please. So advise for new builds: Test your water source prior to the fill and be ready to treat imbalances immediately to avoid issues appearing. I brushed and continue to brush like a maniac.
pH 7.1
TA 63
Ca 243
Chlorine 0.05
Cyanuric acid 35
Copper 0
Iron 0.3 *** high
TDS 2100 (salt pool)
salt 3500

Here are some pics of the stains:
attachment.php
:brickwall:
attachment.php

attachment.php
See the darkened areas? It is a grayish brown. I even applied some acid and sandpapered and pumice stoned it. It helps just "a little", but my arms can't sustain that kind of work. I am so frustrated. Calcium? or Iron? It stated appearing late week 3. Sent text and pics to builder and he said it is curing. He cancelled the apt on 4/21 due to a family event, ten we were out of town 10 days (I had a dog sitter and 2 friends employed to brush several times a day and they did it). Then he was busy and unable to come out until last Friday with a test strip, salt, and descale bottle.

Here is some more info to better help.
Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems
Pool School - Calcium Scaling
Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

To avoid scale always keep your CSI 0 to -0.3. To help clear scale lower your CSI, Poolmath will calculate it, to -0.5 to -0.6 and brush.

Those look like pool store test results. If you don't have one I highly recommend getting a good test kit, they are much more accurate than pool store testing. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Or you can use a Taylor K-2006, but the TF100 is the same reagents and a better value.

They are store results. I have the test kit. Looked at it a few times. Got the large one from here and I am intimidated. Feel like an idiot. I use the easy part, but all the other bottles of this and that. Ugh. I don't even know what a CSI is... I will read the above info you posted. thank you!

Oh you poor dear. I have an idea for you to help with the test kit. Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TF100TestKit/videos

We will also work on you using Pool Math. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

It looks like SO much but it is easy to use once you take a deep breath and do it one part at a time. I guess we could play with it using your PS results to teach you how to do it until you do your own tests.

I will be back in a few to talk to you some more.

Kim:cat:

I believe that the stained areas in the top two pictures were caused before the pool was filled with water.
The bottom and last picture may be from iron or dirt after the pool was filled.
Unfortunately, using sandpaper is probably the only way to remove those stains.

Before the pool was filled with water? So the Plaster installers? It didn't show for the first 2 weeks. It was so white. Then things started to darken. What would the issues be? The plaster guy said it wasn't the Plaster, but that doesn't surprise me. I am just unsure what to do? Do they need to return and get it out and what should I do and say to help make it happen. I don't want these kind of stains starting out with a new pool. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.