Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Identify My Filter - Newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

Identify My Filter - Newbie

Can anyone identify the make and size of my filter? It is about 42" tall, not including the pressure gauge.

I am brand to taking ownership of the care of my pool. I back washed the filter and then realized I did not know the size of the filter in order to determine how much DE to re-charge it with.
    Filter.jpg
    16,550, Long Beach, Southern California, IG Pool & Spa, Plaster (painted over, peeling & cracking), DE Filter (size/make?), Hayward Pump (model?), 2 Wheel "The Pool Cleaner" Auto Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Identify My Filter - Newbie

IMHO, it looks like a Pentair FNS. Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter - Pool Supplies Superstore

If there is no ID tag on it how about giving the diameter of the housing and the height ??
    Photo showing the filters intake and return would be helpful too.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for responding. This is my first post. I am brand new to this.

The height is about 42" and the diameter is about 20"Intake and return.jpg
    16,550, Long Beach, Southern California, IG Pool & Spa, Plaster (painted over, peeling & cracking), DE Filter (size/make?), Hayward Pump (model?), 2 Wheel "The Pool Cleaner" Auto Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I just realized you added a link. Thanks! That does look like the one. And, based on the vertical clearance listed in the brochure, it looks like a 24 SQ FT version.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I'm always more comfortable if someone else jumps in to agree or disagree but it seems there isn't anyone else giving their opinion.
    Did you end up using the info from the 24 Sq Ft filter to recharge yours ?? Working OK for you ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Kiss4aFrog. Prior to my post, I had just winged it. Everything seems to be working ok. Since then, I purchased a DE scoop. Next time which will be soon, I am going to break it down. I understand from the pool store that twice the length of the grids inside will be the Sq Ft. In other words, the grids should be 12" if it is a 24. I am about to post a new thread because I just received my TF-100. Please jump in there because I need advice. Thanks Again!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

That looks like the size of my 60 sqft Hayward DE filter, if it uses the curved grids. Definitely bigger than the 24 sqft. It is either the 48 or the 60, my guess is the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

Although the manual says a height of 43" is the 36 sqft ... but is that height the entire filter? Just the part that holds water or the grid height????
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Long Beach DG View Post
    Thanks Kiss4aFrog. Prior to my post, I had just winged it. Everything seems to be working ok. Since then, I purchased a DE scoop. Next time which will be soon, I am going to break it down. I understand from the pool store that twice the length of the grids inside will be the Sq Ft. In other words, the grids should be 12" if it is a 24. I am about to post a new thread because I just received my TF-100. Please jump in there because I need advice. Thanks Again!!!
    By golly, for once the pool store is right! By happy coincidence, on this particular filter, that holds true! The exploded parts diagram confirms it. That's easy. All you need is a tape measure while it's apart.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

jblizzle, that is the height of the whole thing, less the pressure gauge on top.

Richard, thanks for the owners manual. That confirms it. If it is in fact an FNS.