Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sun Shelf Cost - Add During Renovation

1. Back To Top    #1

Sun Shelf Cost - Add During Renovation

Did our shopping around/get recommendations and chose the team to renovate our pool and spa. Sand blasting the layers of paint to put plaster down starts Monday.

My wife and I discussed last night having them add a sun shelf. We love the idea, for both us and the kiddos. The builder is coming by with tile this weekend and we are going to discuss the addition of the shelf. We are curious as to how much we should expect to add to the cost of the work. (Yes, I know that the prices can be different depending on location)

We are thinking roughly about 6 foot by 10 foot. it is a free form pool and would go in the shallow end.

Thanks for any input!
    30K gal IG w/ hot tub
    Pentair DE filter, 2 single speed pumps

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sun Shelf Cost - Add During Renovation

In my heart, I'd wish it was $1,500. In my head, my estimate is $3-5K. Total non-expert opinion.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

My PB said an additional $10k-15k during remodel.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

an additional $10K?! wow.

I really was hoping for the couple grand responses.

Thanks all. I'll come back with the estimate for future references.

Also, did you go with it? if not, do you wish you did?
    30K gal IG w/ hot tub

5. Back To Top    #5

Probably depends on if they want to do it or now. Some things are more trouble and they don't make much cash and introduce more challenges. If that is the case, the price might be higher than expected. If not, I would guess a few thousand.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

You're replastering, so I'm assuming you're sandblasting not only paint but plaster down to bare gunite. The shelf needs to be tied into the pool's structure to ensure that it doesn't shift and fracture the new plaster. That's an unpredictable cost (for those of us who are unable to be on-site) because it really depends on the existing conditions. RobbieH's numbers are not unrealistic.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool builder told me that adding it would constitute structural changes, and this is why it would be so expensive. He went into more detail than that, but this was a couple of years ago and I don't remember any more than this.

No, I did not do it, the replaster was already costing me $10,000, and unfortunately I didn't have $25,000 laying around, only $10,000.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

yes, we would sandblast down to the the bare gunite.

We are not looking to change the shape of the pool, shelf would be in part of the existing shallow end. I do know that they would need to drill into the walls and floor to anchor rebar which would be expensive, but doubling the price of the work is not an option. Having injectors replaced on the boat right now, my wife is already ready to take my bank card from me.

I'll know over the weekend and update.

My 2 year old has been walking around the house in his life jacket telling me he needs to go swimming (except this morning, he needed to see the ocean and go fishing). Can't wait for the warm weather to get here for good!
    30K gal IG w/ hot tub

9. Back To Top    #9

That's exactly what we wanted to do, add a shelf and longer steps to existing shape.

You know what they say about boats - boat owners are happy two times when they buy a boat. The day they buy it and the day they sell it.

I grew up on the lake (that's a trouble-free pool by the way) and around boats, been around them most my life.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by drdrool View Post

We are not looking to change the shape of the pool, shelf would be in part of the existing shallow end. I do know that they would need to drill into the walls and floor to anchor rebar which would be expensive, but doubling the price of the work is not an option.
    It's partly increased labor cost as well as the unknown. The actual labor associated with the pool refinishing is shockingly trivial. It's a few hours to sandblast and clean and about 4 hours to replaster (gotta do it fast because it sets up fast). The labor associated with the build-out would be appreciably more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drdrool View Post

We are not looking to change the shape of the pool, shelf would be in part of the existing shallow end. I do know that they would need to drill into the walls and floor to anchor rebar which would be expensive, but doubling the price of the work is not an option.
    It's partly increased labor cost as well as the unknown. The actual labor associated with the pool refinishing is shockingly trivial. It's a few hours to sandblast and clean and about 4 hours to replaster (gotta do it fast because it sets up fast). The labor associated with the build-out would be appreciably more. And that's assuming everything is pristine when they expose the concrete. Cutting into the existing structure could present problems (the "unknown" part).
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

11. Back To Top    #11

My replaster took days to complete. The replaster itself took over 8 hours. Party because I have a polished surface, not a rough pebble surface.

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't know if it helps any, because I know prices vary all over the place, but I put in a shelf that came off of the existing stairs. The shelf is wavy, around 6' x 13'. It cost me $3,600.00. After the chip-out was done, they mapped it out and filled in some of the area with cement bags and plaster from the chip out....then did the rebar and shotcrete. I think 10K sounds pretty high, but I'm curious what they quote you.
    My renovation completed March 2016; 16 x 32 IG gunite play pool, ~14,000 gallons; Wet Edge Prism Matrix Indigo Blue; Pentair 5G Color LED Light w/controller; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP VSP; Hayward SwimClear C5030 cartridge filter; Hayward Swimpure Plus (Aqua Rite) salt chlorinator system with T-15 cell; Maytronics Dolphin Deluxe 4 DX4 robot cleaner.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

10k to 15k very overpriced, some contractors do not like to do these type of projects and really mark up price as a way of talking people out of these type of remodels.

Both of these were way under 10k, and the one that shows a finished pool included plumbing in two bubblers and relocating a return line.

14. Back To Top    #14

You're in Vegas. Land of competition. I'm in Chicago. I can count the number of reliable places on one hand and maybe 2 fingers. "Market price" varies. The OP is in New Jersey, possibly a little more competitive than Chicago but nowhere near Vegas or Arizona.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm out in so cal and received 3 estimates for the sun shelf and the cheapest I could find was $2500 and the highest was $3500. If you go with shotcrete, I'm pretty sure it will be more costly but it's less work for the workers. I went with good old Portland cement and gravel to save money. I would call around and talk to some plaster companies not just pool builders. Some pool builders I called didn't even want to quote me because they were more interested in doing new pools than a remodel. I had more luck with the plaster companies.

16. Back To Top    #16

my quote was $3500 for a small shelf. For the size shelf we wanted would have been over $5,000. Too much to add to the pile I am forking over.

Well, sand blasting - tile - plaster getting done in next 5 days and will be filling water soon!
    30K gal IG w/ hot tub

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Sorry to hear the shelf was out of your budget. But moving on, I'm sure you are thrilled that the process will be complete soon!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!