BAD staining on fiberglass sides

May 22, 2012
Ohio
I opened an older 1970's inground pool that had been abandoned for about 10 years. Concrete bottom, fiberglass sides. It had no chemicals added or anything done for 10 years, just natural rainwater (and we get quite a bit here in Ohio). Fast forward, rented a trash pump to get rid of large amounts of debris. Pool is in a rural area with fields and trees around it, so there was quite a bit of muck. Added the CYA, etc, and used large doses of chlorine.

Water is now sparkling, and the concrete bottom is clean and unstained. However, the fiberglass sides are stained brown, and very stubborn. Brushing didn't even phase it, and test areas with a scotch-brite pad had minimal effect.

I know about Jack's stain ID kit, but the water has to be at least 65-70 for accurate ID tests. This pool won't be there for months, if at all. It is poorly located between two buildings which block sun too much of the day, and no heater.

So, how to get rid of the stains on the fiberglass? Do I super-duper mega turbo chlorinate it?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: It sounds as though you've stumbled across quite the project. Well, you might try gently rubbing a chlorine tablets in an area, being careful to not hold it in one place too long, but long enough to see if the area fades indicating it's organic in nature. You can also try some crushed vitamin C tablets in a sock and rub those on the area to see if the stains are from metal content in the water. This might help give you a good way forward for treatment. Let us know how things work-out. Nice to have you with us.

Welcome to TFP!

Nice work cleaning up that pool! Show us some pics of that cool, old pool! Easiest way is to open a Photobucket account (free), upload pics, copy the IMG code to right of pic and paste it in your post.

New Image4.jpg

Looks like it's a metals issue. The chlorine puck test did nothing, and the vitamin C test worked wonders. So now I've ordered the ascorbic acid, and will have to work on getting the pH and chlorine levels per spec for the AA treatment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.