Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt Gen effect on new stamped concrete patio

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt Gen effect on new stamped concrete patio

Finally finished our pool makeover. New vinyl liner and new stamped concrete patio. The pool company that did the renovation is begging me not to re-install my salt gen system. They say it will absolutely damage the new stamped concrete. Especially since we have the cement cantilevered coping edge. The patio was sealed. I have researched the heck out of it, and have found strong arguments on both sides. Not sure what to do. I love my salt generator and have used it for years. .... But am nervous about it with the new stamped patio and cantilever edge. I have visions of it pitting and breaking apart on the edging. Haven't been able to find any more recent threads on the subject. Can anyone help? Does anyone have experience with a stamped patio and salt gen system?

As always, Thank you!

Rich
    18x36 IG 26,000 gal, Vinyl Liner, 24" Sand filter Hayward S224T, Jandy AE3000 heatpump and 1.5 HP SuperPump. Circupool RJ45 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt Gen effect on new stamped concrete patio

I have SWG and stamped concrete with real stone for coping. No problems after 3 years! I don't have pictures but will take some and post if you wish to see.
    2014, IG 20,000 gl 18x34 Vinyl Liner / Waterfall / SWG / Sand Filter /
    Dolphin M4 Robot / TF-100 Test Kit is used / Beer is consumed /
    *Stamped Concrete Decking*

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You might see something in 20 or 30 years but nothing soon most don't even seal the concrete, only real stone so your very protected
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no definitive proof that saltwater negatively impacts natural stone like flagstone. In my pool it has had no effect on my flagstone coping or concrete deck in 4 years. With that said, concrete is completely resistant to saltwater. It holds up well in/near the ocean which has 10 times the salinity of your pool. I wouldn't give it a second thought.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Ohh, I forgot but the pool company could have done a salt cure for the concrete

salt concrete - Google Search
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

I took it to be that they were concerned about the quality or lifespan on their stain that was put on the cement?

ooops- I read "stamped" as "stained"..... sorry!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

If you want to be more comfortable ask them how many pools they have done that have had the stamped concrete destroyed by the SWG and ask to see the pictures ( surely they would have taken pictures). And then ask if you can talk with those customers. That will help you realize whether their fear and advice is based on actual experience. If not based on actual experience you can obviously discount their advice since people here have the opposite experience.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping