Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Perfect levels and oily film on top?

1. Back To Top    #1

Perfect levels and oily film on top?

So I have perfect levels but noticed a shiny film on top of the water.

FC-4.5
    CC-0
    TA-100
    CYA-30
    PH-7.6

i have been holding these levels consistently. The water is still cold as is the weather here. I have had the solar cover on constantly and only ran the robot so there was still quite a bit of helicopters/debris in the bottom. I've ran the robot every few days but hasn't done the greatest job lately. I also have just recently added a hair net in the skimmer basket and also have a monkey(grease) guy or whatever he is. I'm curious if the oil is from the solar cover being on constantly? From the debris that's sitting in there? I even jumped in after working in the yard and the bottom was a little slick. After that I did a full vacuum and scrubbed everything real good, even the walls, with vacuum attachment on high. Does anyone have any ideas to why this is looking this way? Besides that it's shimmering like a diamond
    19k 15x36' inground oval vinyl lined pool with deep end. 3 returns , 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Perfect levels and oily film on top?

it may be some kind of pollen or pollutant in the air and it could also be just from having your cover on a lot and not being able to skim very well.. You can take your FC up to SLAM level and let drop on its own and see if that burns off whatever it is It wont hurt anything
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I would push the FC up a tad and see if it "eats" the film. I am guessing it is too cold (and you got in it burrrrr) for much sun screen and such. Not sure what it is though. Let us know if the higher FC helps clear it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Definetly some pollen and cotton floating around so I'll raise FC and see what happens. Thanks for the advise and yes it was COLD
    19k 15x36' inground oval vinyl lined pool with deep end. 3 returns , 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. TF-100 test kit