Replacing O-ring in pump

May 9, 2016
Lynchburg, VA
I just opened my pool in my new house for the first time a couple weeks ago. After dealing with various water chemistry problems, I've been able to get things looking great. My new problem is with an air leak in my pump. I noticed that when I turned off my pump, water would go back through the system and come out of the skimmer.

After reading some threads, I determined there must be an air leak and suspected it was in my pump, probably something wrong with the o-ring. I opened the pump casing to find that there's...no o-ring there at all, but I do see grooves where I expect an o-ring belongs. So I need to get a new one, but I don't have the old o-ring to compare it to and I'm not sure what to get.

My question - can I just go to the hardware store and get an o-ring that I think will fit and try it or do I need to find an o-ring that's specific to my pump? I don't know much about the pump and sadly don't have any documentation on it other than a sticker on it that said the brand on model number (see signature). The lid on the pump casing is also square with rounded edges, so I didn't know if that made a difference.

Thanks for the help. I'm sorry I don't have more information.

A picture of the pump and motor may help identify exactly what you need. Some seals are o-rings, others are a flat ribbon type seal. Are there any identifying marks/labels on the wet end or on the impeller?

Locate the manufacturer and the model number on your pump. Then google that. You should be able to find a parts list with the o-ring info detailed. I am not a pump-person, so I err on the side of getting exact o-ring sizing. They differ in diameter and thickness and you want a nice fit.

Thank you. After doing some digging, I believe my proper pump model is an Emerson 1081 Pump EUST1102. And I believe this repair kit is what I'll need to fix it. I'll try to also include a photo a little later.

The pump loses prime after it's turned off, but if I prime it first can I still run it even with this issue? It will take some time for this to get to me and I wouldn't want to leave my pool unfiltered for that long.

Thanks!

Yes, it runs fine really. When I turn it on, air comes out of the return jets for a couple seconds and then it runs smoothly. I think I'm safe to run it and it's on right now actually. Seems to me that the air in the system is compressed enough while it's running for it to work, but it's probably not as efficient as it could be. I have the repair kit coming next week and hopefully that will fix it.

It appears to be fixed! I got a repair kit in last night with several parts including an o-ring for the lid. I put it in this afternoon.

After that, it appeared to be working a little better, but there was still air coming out of the return jets when I started the pump and a sucking sound when I turned it off. I had read in other threads that air can be trapped in the top of the filter. I don't have an air relief valve, so on a hunch I unscrewed the filter's pressure gauge. Immediately, a bunch of air rushed out. I waited until the all the air came out and water started coming out instead and replaced the pressure gauge. Turned everything on and it's running beautifully now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.