Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: *Updated with test results!* Filled 12' Intex Pool, now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

*Updated with test results!* Filled 12' Intex Pool, now what?

So my 12'x30" steel-framed Intex pool has been filled. Now, I'd like/need advice on how to treat it, please! What are the simplest, gentlest options? I bought the Natural Chemistry Start-Up kit on Amazon, but I don't *have* to use it. I just thought it would be a gentle option for my three little children. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filled 12' Intex Pool, now what?

Do you have any type of test kit all all? You'll need something to measure pH and chlorine, at least. A better kit might be overkill for a pool your size. If a chemical catastrophe strikes, it's not such a big deal to stick a siphon hose in and drain it and start over.

You do need to get some chlorine in the water. That's a given. Every day. Even if you don't see green stuff, the chlorine is also a sanitizer to kill any bacteria or viruses. Since you haven't added a thing yet... your target FC is 3. I'll help you out: that's just one measuring cup of standard 8.25% laundry bleach. So you know for reference, at 90% filled, your pool is 1718 gallons.

Next step, check the pH. Whether you need acid or soda ash or borax or nothing at all depends on the reading you get from the test kit.

Third step, add some stabilizer. The quantities you need are so small that you could get by with just two 8 oz trichlor pucks in a floater. When they're melted away, that's it. Your CYA will be about 40. You probably won't need to add much bleach while they're dissolving, either, since they have chlorine in them. Some pool stores sell them individually, or you can beg a couple off a neighbor or flag down a pool service truck when you see one.

Pretty easy, really. Have you seen Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools ?

Also, take a few minutes to read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow! Thanks! All pretty Greek to me, but I will definitely take a look at the links you provided! Seems relatively easy, though! I do have testing strips that measure PH and Chlorine, and two other components I can't recall right now. Thank you!

Just to check, the standard pump that comes with a pool like that doesn't handle salt, correct? Is salt much better?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by eanik View Post
    Wow! Thanks! All pretty Greek to me, but I will definitely take a look at the links you provided! Seems relatively easy, though! I do have testing strips that measure PH and Chlorine, and two other components I can't recall right now. Thank you!

Just to check, the standard pump that comes with a pool like that doesn't handle salt, correct? Is salt much better?
    Test strip results are notoriously unreliable. To properly care for your pool and get accurate advice here, you need either the K2006 or TF100 test kit. Both are around the same price, most of us opt for the TF100 since it contains more reagent for the tests you'll use most.

K2006: Amazon.com : TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

TF100:TF100: TFTestkits.net
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Great info! I'll grab a kit. Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

A salt pool is a chlorine pool. Instead of them making the bleach at a factory and bottling it up and hauling it all over, you make it right there next to the pool. It's handy, no doubt. Once you get it dialed-in, you don't have to add chlorine at all. But I can't see your little pool using more than about a cup of bleach a day. One jug of bleach every couple weeks is pretty inexpensive. When you start talking gallons per day, then a SWG makes real economic sense!

A K-2006 or TF100 is probably overkill. But any drop-type tester is world's better than test strips.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Gotcha! Thank you!

8. Back To Top    #8

My husband went to a pool shop nearby and with a sample of water since we do not have a kit yet. This is the report. He came home with a jug of Liquid Chlorinating Product, a bag of Total Alkalinity Increaser and a bottle of Stabilizer/Conditioner Increaser.

I noticed the gallons are way off. Hmph. I assume I would just add half the amount instructed then? I will be buying a kit soon.

9. Back To Top    #9

My husband went to a pool shop nearby and with a sample of water since we do not have a kit yet. This is the report. He came home with a jug of Liquid Chlorinating Product, a bag of Total Alkalinity Increaser and a bottle of Stabilizer/Conditioner Increaser.

I noticed the gallons are way off. Hmph. I assume I would just add half the amount instructed then? I will be buying a kit soon.
    Enter your volume and calculate the amount to add here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Start with 1/2-3/4 of what it suggests for 30ppm stabilizer(CYA) until you get a kit. Also add a few cups of liquid chlorine a day until the test kit arrives (calculate to around 3ppm with pool math).

I'd hold off on adjusting TA and pH until you can test yourself. The good news is now that you have stabilizer, there's no need to go to the pool store! See here:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: *Updated with test results!* Filled 12' Intex Pool, now what?

Thank you!!

@Richard320 How about this one? It is sold at the same local pool store. Amazon.com : Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit with Case - Basic Collection : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you!!

@Richard320 How about this one? It is sold at the same local pool store. Amazon.com : Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit with Case - Basic Collection : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden
    That test kit will be plenty for what you need. And for anyone else reading this, it's because of the size of her pool. See:Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools People with larger pools need to invest in a more complete kit because replacing water is a lot more trouble when the pool is 10 or 20 times larger.

By the way, eanik.... you've already been pool-stored. If those readings are right, your alkalinity was just fine where it was. No reason to raise it. But if it did need raising, plain baking soda from the grocery store is exactly the same chemical and is about 1/5 the cost. There's one waste of money.

You don't need to "shock" the pool. What could have gotten in it so soon? Your kids bathe in the same water without it being overdosed with bleach. The pool is brand new, so there won't be any algae residual left from last year to kill. I stand by my original recommendation to add a cup of bleach as the startup dose. The liquid shock you bought is probably stronger than plain laundry bleach, even though it's the same chemical. You may need to reduce quantities accordingly. Fifteen minutes after adding, the kids can get in. If you follow the pool store recommendation, the FC will be over 15 FC, unbuffered by any stabilizer, and has the potential to bleach out that brand new liner and reduce swimsuit life to days, hence the caution to stay out.

You also ended up with way more stabilizer than you need. A 12' X 30'' intex filled up to 90% holds 1718 gallons. To raise CYA from zero to 40 will only require 9 ounces by weight or 9.6 fluid ounces by volume That's 1 cups of the granules. How big is the canister? 4 pounds?

Anyway... that kit will work. But you and your husband are going to have to decide 1) Who's tending the pool and
    2) Whose advice will you take?

TFP and pool store advice don't mix.

12. Back To Top    #12

I much prefer TFP. My husband thought I randomly read a recommendation online, and opted to try the store. Miscommunication! We don't have a lot of money to play with for a pool. Blessed enough to have one. Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I can return the chlorinating bleach and alkanyzer (unless I should keep some on hand). So just Clorox bleach and baking soda from the grocery store will do? They only had one size of stabilizer, my husband said. :/ I will be tending to the pool, for sure.

I should mention the pool had to be taken down to be re-leveled and obtained a little green algae waiting for that to be taken care of. I rinsed it out, mopped with a little bleach and rinsed again.

13. Back To Top    #13

Yeah, take the alkalinity adjuster back and get your money.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Thank you!! After searching around here, I did the recommended method of adding the granulated stabilizer to a sock and put in in front of the return valve. Now, How long do I need to wait to add the liquid chlorination? Thanks!!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you!! After searching around here, I did the recommended method of adding the granulated stabilizer to a sock and put in in front of the return valve. Now, How long do I need to wait to add the liquid chlorination? Thanks!!
    You don't have to wait. Pour it in. A cup's worth. Less if the shock is stronger than 8.25%.

Have you seen poolmath It will do the arithmetic for you.

16. Back To Top    #16

You do not even need Clorox. You can use store brand bleach so long as it is plain bleach. Make sure it lists the % on the bottle. If it does not it is not worth buying. Right now Walmart has pool shock for cheap.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    That test kit will be plenty for what you need. And for anyone else reading this, it's because of the size of her pool. See:Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools People with larger pools need to invest in a more complete kit because replacing water is a lot more trouble when the pool is 10 or 20 times larger.
    I was under the impression (from reading similar posts), that we still treat temporary pools like full sized pools. I also thought the smallest metal frame Intex was still ~5k gallons, but I see OP's is much smaller. No matter though...

There's $25 test kits that include CYA test here and here.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump