Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Box Cover Brown After Opening Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Box Cover Brown After Opening Pool

Just opened my pool this evening and upon removing the cover I noticed my skimmer box covers (2) are stained brown. In the pool the skimmer door seemed ok but the rectangular finish piece around it is stained as well. Water was below skimmer for the winter during closure. Pool water is nice and clear. There were a few leaves on the bottom but overall it looked pretty clean. Any ideas what could have caused this? How to remove? I don't have any test readings yet as the sun went down before I could do any. Will do them first thing in the morning. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Rob
    31,500 gal. Vinyl IG Free Form Pool Built August 2014 - Pentair FNS Plus Vertical Grid D.E. Filter, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Water Fall Feature, Taylor 81329 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Box Cover Brown After Opening Pool

Brown could be iron or could be organic stains from rotting leaves or acorns or the like.

Get a Vitamin C tablet and set it on one of the (damp) stains. In about two minutes, you'll have a white spot where it was sitting if it's metals. The next test if it isn't metals is to sit a trichlor puck on and see if it lifts the stain. If yes, it;s organic, and high chlorine and time will fade it. Do them in that order because the puvk may also lift metals and give yyou a false positive on organics.

More here: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Rich. Vitamin C tab did nothing. TriChlor puck is now in place. Will check in the morning to see if there is any color change.
    Rob
    31,500 gal. Vinyl IG Free Form Pool Built August 2014 - Pentair FNS Plus Vertical Grid D.E. Filter, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, Water Fall Feature, Taylor 81329 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

No, dont let it sit there that long. The risk of it bleaching your liner is too great. Just 10-15 minutes is enough tops!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain