Layer of thick spongy stuffing top of sand in filter

ScottG

Aug 12, 2014
Cracked open the sand filter head and on top of the sand today I found this thick spongy stuff. I removed most of it by hand and have back washed several times about every 30 minutes today for about 3 hours. I've put algaecide in it and over shocked.
There are still some smaller pieces of this stuff on the top of the sand.
Is it time to replace the sand OR will this stuff die and get washed out as we progress?

Thanks. I couldn't get the video to load but I will find it.
Another question:
Cya is still high (120-130 and it seems to vary). I vacuum to waste once a week and lose about 4 inches of water. I begin refilling after vacuuming about 1/3 of it.
Is it a better practice to drain more and come back later to add? Or can I just wait until we get more activity and splash out as it gets warmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jblizzle
I'd like to hear more about what you mean about actively getting it down. Also, could you send me the link for an appropriate test kit given what I have below?

I think I had two profiles out here when I reset my device.

AG | 18x33 Oval | vinyl | 15k gallons | 1.5 hp sand filter | multi port | Wilsonville, AL | 4th summer this year

AG | 18x33 Oval | vinyl | 15k gallons | 1.5 hp sand filter | multi port

I mean I would replace about 50% of the water at the same time instead of trying to do at 4 inches at a time. There is a link to the recommended test kits in my signature or there is a comparison table in pool school. Although you can't access those from within Tapatalk.

I got it taken care of now by getting the layer out and a modified version of the prescribed deep clean of the filter. Thanks for the help.

AG | 18x33 Oval | vinyl | 15k gallons | 1.5 hp sand filter | multi port | installed summer 2016

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.