Houston/Harris County or other places w excessive constant rains

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to All,

The Houston area has been inundated w consistent and excessive rains. Couple that dilution w the extra aeration and our spa-spillover into pool, my pH seems to be to be on the constant rise. Based on the pH rise, what else can pool owners w lots of rain dilution and a CL-based pool expect or need to proactively safeguard against? I will get all new readings tomorrow morning & post them, but prior to adding my 8.25% CL & Muratic acid, I was about a FC=3 and pH of 7.9 - 8.0

Thank you,
tstex

Ok, as promised, here are my current readings:

FC = 5, CC = 0, TC = 5

CH = 275

TA = 50 - 60 [50 was pink, 60 was red] Do we make the call when the color changes, period, or when it gets to a certain hue?

CYA = 30

pH 7.5 [after adding acid this morning bc it was near the 7.9-8.0 range]

So, I am looking for a set of goals here so I can enter them into the pool calculator, then determine my additive requirements.

Here is some additional information for you:

Pool, on sunny day, receives about 6 hrs a day of full sun, then various combinations from the sun being blocked in the am & the pm.

Pool temp now is prob in the mid-hi 70's

I do not get a lot of leaves or debris, other than storms when blown in.

CL based and about 14,900 gallons both pool and spa combo 3.5' to 5.5' from shallow to deep respectively, rectangle config. So, if there is anything else you need, pls let me know.

To conclude, looking for an ideal FC, CH, TA, CYA & pH....I believe I'm good on the FC = 5, the CH = 275 and pH of 7.5-7.6, but I think I need to increase the TA and the CYA some. Just wanted to get your opinion on where you think I need to be? I can play w the TA & pH re equilibrium, but just looking for some starting points.

Thank you,
tstex

Always add drops until the last one causes not further color change and do not count that last drop.

Only thing I would do is raise the CYA to 50ppm and then maintain adequate FC and the pH in the 7s (might be happy around 7.8 with your lower TA) an

"Always add drops until the last one causes not further color change and do not count that last drop."

This really helps Jason...I will redo all of my testing again today and post back.

I forgot to say that I also added 2lbs of baking soda 1-2 days ago...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.