Salt water generator comparison/review

May 12, 2009
We installed Eco-Matic when we redid our pool and were very happy with it until it quit working after only 3 years. We did all maintenance as per instructions. We expected it to last longer. A replacement cell was so expensive, last summer we decided to try old-fashioned chlorine routine and went crazy trying to keep pool balanced (we are not very disciplined/methodical) and spent so much money on chemicals we figured it would have been cheaper to buy the replacement cell. We want to pruchase a new salt water (chlorine) generator - Eco-Matic is no longer distributed in our area. Does anyone know of a place to find Consumer Reports-like reviews/comparisons of salt water generators? Any recommendations?

I don't know of any true comparative reviews. You can find out a lot by reading through posts here, but they aren't well organized for making comparisons.

The AutoPilot Digital is very well though of and has some nice high end features, but is more expensive than most. The Hayward Aqua Plus is a great deal if you need a simple automation system. The Hayward Aqua Rite and Pentair IntelliChlor are both very popular, though that is really because builders tend to install all Hayward or all Pentair equipment.

For above ground pools, the Intex SWG is extremely inexpensive, is missing several important features, and has some significant quirks. The Hayward Aqua Trol is well though of.

And then there are all the others, none of which seem to really stand out.

JasonLion said:
I don't know of any true comparative reviews. You can find out a lot by reading through posts here, but they aren't well organized for making comparisons.

The AutoPilot Digital is very well though of and has some nice high end features, but is more expensive than most. The Hayward Aqua Plus is a great deal if you need a simple automation system. The Hayward Aqua Rite and Pentair IntelliChlor are both very popular, though that is really because builders tend to install all Hayward or all Pentair equipment.

For above ground pools, the Intex SWG is extremely inexpensive, is missing several important features, and has some significant quirks. The Hayward Aqua Trol is well though of.

And then there are all the others, none of which seem to really stand out.

Must be why I like it so much then - it's alot like me. :mrgreen:

Also note that models sold for IG pools may be used on AG pools as well its just that they have a capacity to maintain much larger pools. Those with large AG pools may benefit from some of the more beefy larger systems.

Great chart link!!!
Gotta love those comparisons!!!
They must sell only the CircuPool brand, since it is the highest rated.
If I were to rate them for a value score, I would just look at cost and production only.
If I had an automation system, I would look at compatibility, too.
But for a stand alone unit most of the "features" that they rate are marketing selling points that give the pool owner little benefit, if not a reduction in benefit.

Here's my view of their chart items (not that anybody asked for it)-
Average price - looks like MSRP, if you can't find it for less then this, you didn't even try!!!
Chlorine Production - What you want to know!!!
Warranty - They don't tell you how much it is pro-rated, years at less then 100% are only a sales tactic, IMHO.
Cell replacement - see warranty above.
Salinity range - once you get in it, you should stay there, barring large leaks and floods.
Controls - if it works, it works - oh, wait, digital must be better! Tell that to the Hi-Fi nerds with tube amps and vinyl records!!
Self-cleaning - they tell you that you eventually have to manually clean it, but they don't tell you that polarity reversal reduces cell life. Adjustable cleaning intervals would be a feature.
Lo/Hi salt indicators -\
Salinity Test -/ more of a "I have a dirty cell" or "I'm broken" then a useful salinity test. Ignorant users will just keep adding more salt before they realise the ECG is incorrect.
Super Chlor - not a useful thing, unless you sell cells.
Clear cell - OK, this is a useful feature, and it is fun to show off!
Ph controls - they say the benefits are arguable, and the added equipment very expensive. I'll agree. It's only found on the high end units, and is probably listed as a way of discounting them.
Vector Jet - most pools have adjustable return eyeballs, don't they?
Flow sensor - if it an in-line unit it HAS to have one, so why list it?
Winter mode - physics steps in when the temperature drops, I think most people turn them off, but maybe it matters to some?

Still, a great place to start for those interested in a Electronic Chlorine Generator, to see the production numbers that are often so buried in the sales literature that you can't find them! (Atlantis?)
What do the other users think of my assessment of the features? Can you not live with out "Super Chlor" or "Lo/Hi salt indicators/salinity test"? (The chart mistakenly lists the latter as missing on the Intex, but it does test salinity, and alarm on Lo/Hi salt, as that is the main reason for most of the help needed posts.)

That is a great comparison chart. I would not call it a review however. Their value score is simply a straight calculation based on the specs, and nothing tells you what the units are actually like. Still, it is very handy to have.

The chart is a good starting point, and easy to use. As Jason notes, it just follows the specs provided. For example, I have a Intellichlor IC40 running right now with salt at 2950ppm and it is putting out plenty of Cl. 30% setting seems to be holding FC steady at 3 with a CYA of 60. Spec says it won't kick in until 3200ppm, but that is dependent on temp and other factors. I'll raise it to 3200ppm is weekend.

Apparently you have never contacted Discount Salt Pool, they sell all makes and models and sell you whatever brand you want. That Comparison chart is spot on. I have had a CircuPool salt generator now for three years and NO problems, just look at the display and you get all the answers. I even bought another one for my son's house and he also has had NO problems....

Great chart link!!!
Gotta love those comparisons!!!
They must sell only the CircuPool brand, since it is the highest rated.
If I were to rate them for a value score, I would just look at cost and production only.
If I had an automation system, I would look at compatibility, too.
But for a stand alone unit most of the "features" that they rate are marketing selling points that give the pool owner little benefit, if not a reduction in benefit.

Here's my view of their chart items (not that anybody asked for it)-
Average price - looks like MSRP, if you can't find it for less then this, you didn't even try!!!
Chlorine Production - What you want to know!!!
Warranty - They don't tell you how much it is pro-rated, years at less then 100% are only a sales tactic, IMHO.
Cell replacement - see warranty above.
Salinity range - once you get in it, you should stay there, barring large leaks and floods.
Controls - if it works, it works - oh, wait, digital must be better! Tell that to the Hi-Fi nerds with tube amps and vinyl records!!
Self-cleaning - they tell you that you eventually have to manually clean it, but they don't tell you that polarity reversal reduces cell life. Adjustable cleaning intervals would be a feature.
Lo/Hi salt indicators -\
Salinity Test -/ more of a "I have a dirty cell" or "I'm broken" then a useful salinity test. Ignorant users will just keep adding more salt before they realise the ECG is incorrect.
Super Chlor - not a useful thing, unless you sell cells.
Clear cell - OK, this is a useful feature, and it is fun to show off!
Ph controls - they say the benefits are arguable, and the added equipment very expensive. I'll agree. It's only found on the high end units, and is probably listed as a way of discounting them.
Vector Jet - most pools have adjustable return eyeballs, don't they?
Flow sensor - if it an in-line unit it HAS to have one, so why list it?
Winter mode - physics steps in when the temperature drops, I think most people turn them off, but maybe it matters to some?

Still, a great place to start for those interested in a Electronic Chlorine Generator, to see the production numbers that are often so buried in the sales literature that you can't find them! (Atlantis?)
What do the other users think of my assessment of the features? Can you not live with out "Super Chlor" or "Lo/Hi salt indicators/salinity test"? (The chart mistakenly lists the latter as missing on the Intex, but it does test salinity, and alarm on Lo/Hi salt, as that is the main reason for most of the help needed posts.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in the market to replace my Hayward T Cell 15 and found a clear one with a 5 year limited warranty. Not a lot of information regarding what all the warranty covers but 5 years is the longest I've found.

Sign in
Create an Account
Menu
Cart 0

HomeHayward / Aqua Rite Replacement Cells › Platinum Edition Replacement Salt Cell for Hayward T-CELL-15 | 40,000 Gallons | 5-Year Warranty
1.2_Edited_70e3b2d8-a8cb-4c9f-97f4-36ea6babe0ca_large.png

[h=2]Platinum Edition Replacement Salt Cell for Hayward T-CELL-15 | 40,000 Gallons | 5-Year Warranty[/h]Deal or no deal......that's half the price of the Hayward replacement....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.