Pool Light - Dirt Inside?

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
Hello!

We opened our pool last week in Toronto.

When cleaning today, I noticed that there is some dirt (pieces of leaves, buds, etc) inside the light. I have a few questions and need help on this please.

1. How does dirt get into the light?
2. How do I remove the light? Is is a simple turn or do I have to open all the screws?
3. If I remove the light, will water leak out of the pool or is it sealed?
4. Do I have to wait to lower the pool level before I can work on the light?

Would appreciate your help please. Not sure how the lights are installed and if the housing seals it from water or what happens.

Thanks!

1. No idea, it should not be possible
2. Usually there is 1 screw on the top of the ring holding the light in the niche.
3. It is sealed, water is supposed to get behind the light to cool it
4. If it was installed correctly, there should be enough cord wrapped up behind the light to lift the fixture out of the pool.

Usually if you open up the light fixture, you should replace the seal.

1. No idea, it should not be possible
2. Usually there is 1 screw on the top of the ring holding the light in the niche.
3. It is sealed, water is supposed to get behind the light to cool it
4. If it was installed correctly, there should be enough cord wrapped up behind the light to lift the fixture out of the pool.

Usually if you open up the light fixture, you should replace the seal.

Thanks!

So the light can be removed and worked on while the pool is full of water?

Isn't the seal redundant if water is allowed to get behind it anyways?

The light bulb is sealed in the fixture. The fixture just sits in the niche. The water gets between the fixture and the niche.

Ah ok. So no water goes in the niche. That's what the gasket is for.

I went out and just splashed a lot of water through the slots between the fixture and the bulb. The dirt came out, I guess the same way it went in.

Seems like there is a slot on the light cover that allows water to flow through.

Thanks for your help!

I really appreciate it :)

The bulb is IN the fixture. There should not be water IN the fixture by the bulb. The water should be between the fixture and the niche.

Maybe we are talking about different types of lights ;)

The bulb is IN the fixture. There should not be water IN the fixture by the bulb. The water should be between the fixture and the niche.

Maybe we are talking about different types of lights ;)

We have the aqualamp led lights.

The terminology is confusing, for me at least.

Tried looking for some pics that show it all.

If I remove the light fixture and have it sitting on the pool deck, water will go into the niche, right? And is that normal and OK or should there be no water on the niche.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

So.. I just called the pool builder to ask him.

He said that the light can be removed at any time. I just need to turn it about 5 degrees clockwise and it will pop out. He said that the niche is always full of water and that I can pop out the light anytime to clean it or clean the niche.

He said that as long as I don't open the fixture, the gasket does not need to changed.

He also said that the lens cover has a slot in it that allows water to flow through and that's why dirt can get in too.

I think it makes sense now...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.