Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Affect on Salt Cell

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Affect on Salt Cell

I have the autopilot digital SWG and the directions state that my CH should be between 200-400. It also states that if CH is too high it could prevent the salt cell from being able to clean itself. It doesn't specify, however, what level of CH is problematic for the salt cell. My CH is 425 ( and thus higher than the range given) and was wondering if I should lower it by draining some of my pool to prevent this problem. My fill water is only 25 CH so I know that would be effective.

My question however is whether this is a concern at 425.

Thanks
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Affect on Salt Cell

It is not really just the CH that is the problem, it is the CSI. If you keep that slightly negative, you will reduce the likelihood of problems. This is most easily accomplished by lowering the pH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Calcium Affect on Salt Cell

Ok. Thanks
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping