Lowering Total Alkalinity Without A Ph Change

Here is some quick info and a link about the "acid slug" myth from this thread: Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught

Procedures for Lowering TA
There is also the acid column or slug method myth that was discredited in this paper. It's not that the method doesn't work at all, since the amount of TA lowering is solely dependent on the amount of acid you add and not how you add it, but rather that it is not the safest method (pooling acid in one area can damage plaster/vinyl surfaces) nor the most efficient (it can take longer for the pH to recover in time for you to add more acid to lower the TA some more). The efficient procedure for lowering TA (especially lowering the TA a lot) is described in this post and in the Pool School Lower Total Alkalinity procedure. The procedure works because the outgassing of carbon dioxide is accelerated at lower pH as shown in this chart.

The handbook only says to add acid to lower the TA and does not discuss more efficient ways of lowering it via lowering the pH and increasing aeration (along with the acid addition).

The more aeration, the faster the pH drop. So an aerator will raise pH (and lower TA) faster than upward facing eyeballs. Or at least that's true on my pool as my eyeballs only cause a minor agitation when pointed up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2-3 days of aerating (see my youtube video in my previous post) 8 hours each day brought my Ph from around 7 to 7.5 in my 22k gal. pool.

I wanted to include this info for anyone considering the acid slug (information on the web still advocates the acid slug method).

A little $ to build some kind of aeration apparatus and some patience and your Ph can be increased this way (and TA can be lowered gradually).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.