Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering Total Alkalinity Without A Ph Change

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering Total Alkalinity Without A Ph Change

The method explained in this video claims that TA can be lowered without a significant change in Ph by stilling the water, pouring MA in deep end and then waiting 5-6 hours to begin circulating.

What do the experts here think?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Lowering Total Alkalinity Without A Ph Change

Here is some quick info and a link about the "acid slug" myth from this thread: Certified Pool Operator (CPO) training -- What is not taught

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Procedures for Lowering TA
    There is also the acid column or slug method myth that was discredited in this paper. It's not that the method doesn't work at all, since the amount of TA lowering is solely dependent on the amount of acid you add and not how you add it, but rather that it is not the safest method (pooling acid in one area can damage plaster/vinyl surfaces) nor the most efficient (it can take longer for the pH to recover in time for you to add more acid to lower the TA some more). The efficient procedure for lowering TA (especially lowering the TA a lot) is described in this post and in the Pool School Lower Total Alkalinity procedure. The procedure works because the outgassing of carbon dioxide is accelerated at lower pH as shown in this chart.

The handbook only says to add acid to lower the TA and does not discuss more efficient ways of lowering it via lowering the pH and increasing aeration (along with the acid addition).
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you're begging for etched plaster where the acid settles.

Acid column myth
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool. Now I know what the myth is called. I have a vinyl liner, not plaster, but I don't want that much acid sitting on anything I own.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Lower TA by following the procedures in Pool School. We've published that method for 8 years or more and it works!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm in that process right now. I think going to build an aerator from pvc to go on a return. Like this one.

Should I expect this to be faster at raising Ph than pointing the eye-balls up?

7. Back To Top    #7

The more aeration, the faster the pH drop. So an aerator will raise pH (and lower TA) faster than upward facing eyeballs. Or at least that's true on my pool as my eyeballs only cause a minor agitation when pointed up.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

@RobbieH I'm confused. I just added MA to lower Ph and TA. I want to raise Ph. I thought aerating is the only way to raise Ph without affecting TA. Did you mean raise?

9. Back To Top    #9

My apologies, I will correct my post. Aeration will RAISE pH and lower TA. I was thinking about something else and typed the wrong thing.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

No problem. I just wanted to check my own understanding.

When I point my returns up I get serious agitation of the water. I have good return pressure and the eyeballs are not to deep in the water.

I will experiment with both methods and post findings, w/ some video.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yep, you've got it right. Acid to lower PH and TA and aeration to raise PH and not TA. The more aeration the faster the rise.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

PVC Pool Aerator - YouTube

Added MA, measured TA decrease, and trying to get Ph back up (so I can do it again). Ph is 7.2 before beginning aeration. I'll check Ph again tomorrow.

13. Back To Top    #13

Note that most of the original people who advocated for the slug method have realized that they were wrong.

14. Back To Top    #14

2-3 days of aerating (see my youtube video in my previous post) 8 hours each day brought my Ph from around 7 to 7.5 in my 22k gal. pool.

I wanted to include this info for anyone considering the acid slug (information on the web still advocates the acid slug method).

A little $ to build some kind of aeration apparatus and some patience and your Ph can be increased this way (and TA can be lowered gradually).