Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calcium deposits? I think?

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium deposits? I think?

Hello everyone. I am new to the pool world and have read every thread on this topic i can find.

My pool was closed for 3 years(bought a repo) and i have uncovered it to find it full of leaves. Leaves removed and water tested.

Here are the results of the water testing.

CYA 0
    Total Chlorine 1.1
    Free Chlorine 0.5
    Ph 7.5
    total Alkalinity 137
    total Hardness 313

No metals at all. I have a brownish and white film all over the liner. Worse in the corners and down the walls of the deep end but also all over the steps and shallow end too. the pool is a lazy L inground, vinyl liner, approx 20/40. 1st picture is on the stairs dried, second is the steps, and 3rd is the bottom of the shallow end. It looks like this almost all over the liner.

20160519_114447.jpg20160519_111954.jpg20160519_111940.jpg

Any and all help and comments would be greatly appreciated. I am not having any luck

Thanks so much,

Breh

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium deposits? I think?

Those look like pool store test results. I wouldn't trust 'em.

You can test if it's Calcium on that first picture by putting a drop of acid on it and seeing of it fizzes.

The greenish stuff looks like organic staining. Could be algae embedded in scale, though.

If (big if) those readings are right, it means CC is .6. That's high. The water looks a little cloudy, too. I think if you started with a SLAM to clear the water up, it would also fade any organic stains. They might not disappear 100% but they'd get lighter. Completely bleaching them out takes weeks if not months.

Scale can be attacked (after eradicating any algae) by running the pH at the low end of the safe zone, 7.2>7.4 and reducing TA to some number that will give you a negative CSI. Poolmath will do the math for you. You're in no danger of etching plaster, so you can push it down to -.5 if you want. Scale will dissolve back into solution, but it's at a glacial pace. You're handicapped because you can't attack it with a stainless steel brush, lest you damage the liner.

Face itm, that pool didn;t get that way in just a couple days, so it's going to take more than a couple days to make it perfect again. Cleaning up a mess always takes longer than making it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

How do you suggest I test the water myself?

40K inground lazy L, Hayward 2.5hp pump, sand filter, vinyl liner, 2 skimmer, 2 return, 1 floor drain, located in good ole PA!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

Invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you. I have no idea what I'm doing. What am I to use to get the water clear. Pool store wants me to shock again?

40K inground lazy L, Hayward 2.5hp pump, sand filter, vinyl liner, 2 skimmer, 2 return, 1 floor drain, located in good ole PA!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by beesathome View Post
    Thank you. I have no idea what I'm doing. What am I to use to get the water clear. Pool store wants me to shock again?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Get your own test kit and do what we call the SLAM It's like a pool-store shock, only cobtrolled and sustained long enough to do the job for keeps.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to:
    - stay out of the pool store
    - get one of the test kits
    - follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

While waiting for the test kit, check out Pool School yet? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. I read up on everything. If i slam with bleach will that not increase the hardness of my water? I bought the test kit that was available at my local store. I will retest in the morning and post numbers from what i get. As I am new i thought the pool store was my best bet. That being said i will stay away lol. So basically will the bleach increase the calcium that is already a mess in my water? I was told to use sodium dichlor but now i am doubting everything i have been told.

Thank you for your help so far!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

What test kit? Likely it is not good enough (lacking the FAS-DPD chlorine test which is REQUIRED to follow the SLAM process) and you should have just order one.

Bleach adds chlorine and a little salt ... no calcium to increase the "hardness"

Dichlor adds stabilizer (CYA) which is worse to get too high than the CH.

BTW, a CH of 300ppm is right in the recommended range ... not high at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Please add your location (add the State ) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Hello. Got the Taylor k2005 at my local pool store. They tested my water and did the machine one also.

Taylor
    CYA 0
    CC 0.5
    FC 0
    PH 7.4
    TA 120
    CH 300
    Pool store
    CYA 0
    CC 0.5
    FC 0.1
    PH 7.5
    TA 125
    CH 304
    Iron 0.2

They want me to use stain free but i want to do the slam as from what i am reading it should take care of the staining whether organic or metal.

Do i need to add stabilizer? Mine is 0. CYA to Chlorine chart only starts at 20.
    Should i use Dichlor to start out to increase CYA and then move to bleach or liquid chlorine?

Im off the next 4 days from work and would like to get started on this

thank you!! I think i have the signature correct and my state added.

11. Back To Top    #11

The K-2005 is missing the FAS-DPD that you'll need to SLAM.

You can order just that part right here.
    TFTestkits.net
    Most pool stores won't have any idea what you are talking about if you ask for it.

Yes, you need CYA. You have a couple of options. You can add stabilizer now in a sock hanging by a return, or if you have some pucks and a floater, you can put a bunch in there, just keep an eye on the total result of how many you add using PoolMath and the bottom "effects of adding..." Just don't go buy more pucks just for this purpose.

Or, yes, you can SLAM with Dichlor. Again, just keep track of what you are doing by using PoolMath. I did exactly that this year.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

That was not on the list of recommended test kits. Now you need to add the FAS-DPD Chlorine Test to have the equivalent.

SLAM will not remove metal stains, you need a different procedure for that.

You can not start the SLAM until you have the FAS-DPD chlorine test. The first check would be to dose the FC up to 10ppm and recheck the FC and CC in 10 minutes ... you can not test up to a FC of 10ppm or test the CC ...
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I know but it was all they had and i purchased the Taylor K-1515 A drop test separate as they didnt have one with it included that was taylor. So i do have it.

Breh

14. Back To Top    #14

OK wow I am surprised they had that!

Don't do the 25ml test. Do the 10ml test. There's no reason to be any more precise than what the 10ml test will give you.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Well, why didn't you say so?

Add 10ppm of FC (use PoolMath) and retest the FC and CC in 10 minutes and report back.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks...fingers crossed this will work...pool Cal says to add 6lbs of dichlor along with 6lbs of stabilizer...think I will go lower on stabilizer and see what happens

17. Back To Top    #17

STOP!!!

Do not use Dichlor or add CYA right now.

Use bleach to do the test I mentioned above.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok...sorry I'm old and new. Bad combination

19. Back To Top    #19

Since your pool was sitting a long time and the CYA and FC dropped to zero, there is a chance of bacteria conversion of CYA to ammonia. The test above will see if there is ammonia. If you do have the bacteria, then adding more CYA could result in more ammonia and thus require more chlorine to get it out.

If you pass the above test, then you can certainly start adding CYA and using dichlor for a little while.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    STOP!!!

Do not use Dichlor or add CYA right now.

Use bleach to do the test I mentioned above.
    Why not? With CYA of 0 she has some room to spare, and he/she has it. I wouldn't add any stabilizer though if you are using dichlor.

Oh sorry, you are having them do a test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast