Calcium Hardness

Jul 22, 2011
Kansas City
I just tested our chemicals using our new K-2006-Salt, and here's what I got.

FC: 18
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 230
CYA: 50
Water Temp: 66° F

According to the recommended levels page, since we are the gunite SWG pool, the target calcium hardness level is 350-450. I just bought 40lbs of Leslie's Hardness Plus, but I'm not sure whether it's calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. Does anyone know off the top of their head, as this has an effect on how much PoolMath says I should add.

Also, since it looks like I'm going to be adding a lot of it, do I need to add it gradually?

I would only add half as much as you think you need and then retest. Its a lot easier to inch up to your goal rather than overshoot it. Also take a moment to test your fill water's calcium hardness as that can be a significant source of unwanted calcium to some folks.

I'm sorry I don't know which type of calcium Leslie's sells.

Please add your location (city or region and state) to your profile as it makes it easier to answer some questions when we know your climate. Thanks!

That's Calcium Chloride. I just put 50 lbs in myself. :)

I put all 50 lbs in at once, and it was gone pretty quickly.

It probably isn't required, but I suggest turning off your SWG, and don't put any robots or anything like that in before it's dissolved.

Thanks for the replies! I looked again at the bucket, and see now that it says "Calcium Chloride". Derp.

I added about half of the bucket and it dissolved almost immediately. I'll retest it in a few hours.

We live in the Kansas City area, and the city gets its water from MO River which I guess is naturally soft. I'll have to test it though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.