Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness

I just tested our chemicals using our new K-2006-Salt, and here's what I got.

FC: 18
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 90
    CH: 230
    CYA: 50
    Water Temp: 66 F

According to the recommended levels page, since we are the gunite SWG pool, the target calcium hardness level is 350-450. I just bought 40lbs of Leslie's Hardness Plus, but I'm not sure whether it's calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. Does anyone know off the top of their head, as this has an effect on how much PoolMath says I should add.

Also, since it looks like I'm going to be adding a lot of it, do I need to add it gradually?
    Pool owner since 2000. Major pool renovation in 2006 -- all new equipment, pool surface, and cover.
    30,000 gal IG, salt water, Gunite with Diamond Brite, Pentair EasyTouch 8, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST 3HP (May 2016), Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 (May 2013), Pentair TR60 Triton II sand filter, Pentair Minimax NT LN 6800 Heater, Polaris 380 (w/Polaris PB4-60 booster pump)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Hardness

I would only add half as much as you think you need and then retest. Its a lot easier to inch up to your goal rather than overshoot it. Also take a moment to test your fill water's calcium hardness as that can be a significant source of unwanted calcium to some folks.

I'm sorry I don't know which type of calcium Leslie's sells.

Please add your location (city or region and state) to your profile as it makes it easier to answer some questions when we know your climate. Thanks!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

That's Calcium Chloride. I just put 50 lbs in myself.

I put all 50 lbs in at once, and it was gone pretty quickly.

It probably isn't required, but I suggest turning off your SWG, and don't put any robots or anything like that in before it's dissolved.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

The MSDS says it's Calcium Chloride. http://www.lesliesmsds.com/DocumentC...d-b5f5030f1c83

Pool School says spread the powder across the surface of the deep end Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals I've never had to add any -- I get plenty in my fill water -- so I have no input on graqdual or all at once. From what I've read here, it's very common for the water to cloud up after adding it, so don't panic when/if it happens to you.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I didn't get any clouding. It says if pH is balanced it won't cloud, and it says not to add right after adding muriatic acid or that will REALLY make it cloud.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    I didn't get any clouding. It says if pH is balanced it won't cloud, and it says not to add right after adding muriatic acid or that will REALLY make it cloud.
    Leslie's says a lot of things. Just because you got lucky doesn't mean that particular claim is true 100% of the time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies! I looked again at the bucket, and see now that it says "Calcium Chloride". Derp.

I added about half of the bucket and it dissolved almost immediately. I'll retest it in a few hours.

We live in the Kansas City area, and the city gets its water from MO River which I guess is naturally soft. I'll have to test it though.

Pool owner since 2000. Major pool renovation in 2006 -- all new equipment, pool surface, and cover.
    30,000 gal IG, salt water, Gunite with Diamond Brite, Pentair EasyTouch 8, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST 3HP (May 2016), Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 (May 2013), Pentair TR60 Triton II sand filter, Pentair Minimax NT LN 6800 Heater, Polaris 380 (w/Polaris PB4-60 booster pump)