Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found a new way to add CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Found a new way to add CYA

So I was about to add CYA to my pool last week. I'm sitting there thinking "I don't really want to put this sock in my skimmer, but I'm too lazy to string it up in front of my return. Then it hit me. Drop the sock in my PoolSkim! It worked perfectly. So if you have a PoolSkim, think about it if you are adding CYA!

For clarification, it stayed in the white cylinder and never got blown into the net part of the PoolSkim.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Found a new way to add CYA

RobbieH,
    I stumbled upon a great sock method. At Walmart, I found the cheap panty hose, the kind that come in a small eggshell, for like .50cents--of course it had two legs. The panty hose worked 10x better than my old sock did....and was so much faster.
    16,000 gal Pebble Sheen pool w/ spa, Jandy Aqualink, Hayward Salt system, 60 SF DE Filter, Hayward Gas Heater, Caretaker In-floor pop-up cleaning system.
    2hp Whisperflow for filter, 2hp Dynaglass for booster, 2hp for blower, 1hp Dynaglass for scuppers.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

old long johns work great also, zip tied to a pool noodle of course
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jeremysm1 View Post
    RobbieH,
    I stumbled upon a great sock method. At Walmart, I found the cheap panty hose, the kind that come in a small eggshell, for like .50cents--of course it had two legs. The panty hose worked 10x better than my old sock did....and was so much faster.
    I was going to do that too, but the wife said "here use this sock". I tossed it in, went back in a couple of hours and it was all gone. I put 4 lbs in that day, in 2 lb batches. It was quick and easy.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I like to hang the sock of cya from a small section of pool noodle, sometimes an "x" of pool noodles rubber banded together. It can float around and stays off the side of the pool.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

I used 2 skimmer socks with about 2.5 lbs in each, each tied in front of a return jet. The jet created a dense cloud of powder like particles. Both socks were empty in about 3 hours.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I just put it in the skimmer without a sock and it seems to dissolve pretty quickly. I've added 12 lbs and am only up to 30 ppm CYA.
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Billrector View Post
    I just put it in the skimmer without a sock and it seems to dissolve pretty quickly. I've added 12 lbs and am only up to 30 ppm CYA.
    It's sitting in your filter dissolving. Don't back flush or you'll lose what has not gone into solution yet.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit