Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to vacuum with low water

1. Back To Top    #1

How to vacuum with low water

Probably silly question. I have a leak with the guy coming tomorrow to isolate and patch. I'd like to be able to vacuum but my water line is below the skimmer so I can't get suction. Is this possible or would I have to wait until I can top off again?

27' above ground, 17500 gallons, Cartridge filter Hayward SW1000z4, A.O. Smith Pump SP1515Z1BC 70 GPM, Test kit Taylor TF-100
    Murfreesboro, TN

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to vacuum with low water

You have an above ground pool right? One way you can vacuum is to create a siphon using your vacuum hose (and a manual vacuum). Simply fill the hose up with pool water, plug the end with your hand and quickly pull it over the side of the pool to start the siphon. Note: this will remove water from your pool so it might not be the best idea in your situation. Also, you may need to try a few times to get the siphon started.

Another idea that may or may not work with your setup... I'm not familiar with above ground pools so I don't know if this is possible. With my (in ground) pool, the vacuum hose connects in the skimmer but it's not a perfect seal, so when the water level is below the skimmer it sucks in air at the hose connection in the bottom of the skimmer and the pump looses prime. What has worked for me is running a garden hose to the skimmer turned on low to keep the skimmer hole full of water while vacuuming.
    11,500 Gal Fiberglass IG Pool. Hayward cartridge filter with Pentair 3/4 HP pump
    500 Gal Fiberglass AG Spa with cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How to vacuum with low water

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried to connect quickly while maintaining water in the hose hoping the pressure would be enough to get the flow going. No luck though. I will just bit the bullet and top it off while I wait on repairs. Thanks !

27' above ground, 17500 gallons, Cartridge filter Hayward SW1000z4, A.O. Smith Pump SP1515Z1BC 70 GPM, Test kit Taylor TF-100
    Murfreesboro, TN