Treatment Timing

May 13, 2016
Austin, TX
I know I've seen this information around here somewhere but I can't seem to find it so... yet another stupid newbie question.

What should the wait time be between adding chlorine/muriatic acid/borax/baking soda and swimming?

Also, if you have to add more than one thing to adjust the water, how long should you wait between treatments?

Adding chlorine and MA back to back as quick as you can is not a good idea. Every pool has different circulation, but a few minutes, or at different returns is a good idea. Everything else is not a big deal.

I like to wait at least 30 minutes before letting people get in just to be safe after adding FC or MA, those other things I won't add right before swim time.

The safe guideline is 30 minutes. However, if you add one chemical and then brush all the areas where the chemical was added thoroughly, you can safely move onto another chemical addition, especially if you're able to add in another area of the pool. When attempting to test for the change in chemistry, wait for 30 minutes after addition to retest (assuming it's all dissolved). Similar for swimming after additions. I've added chlorine to the pool mid-day during a party, I just had everyone go grab a snack or a beverage while I added. Then brushed the area around the addition, let people hop back in 10 minutes after brushing, but that addition was only a 2 FC increase.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.