Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Pool Light - do I have one?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    50

    Pool Light - do I have one?

    Ok everyone, I have several questions regarding pool lights and my nearby area light. Any help would be appreciated.

    1. There is something that resembles a light or at least where a light used to be below my diving board, but I cannot really confirm that it is a light. It is after all where the pool light would normally be located. However, I cannot tell if this is one, if this is a spot where there was a light and there is no longer one, etc. I realize that it should not be that difficult of a question, but here I am nonetheless. Last year we bought our house, so I am still trying to understand everything about this pool. As a kid, my parents had a pool, but the light was much larger than this. Finally, I do not see any "Light switch" that would generally operated any light in the pool.
    photo 2.jpgPhoto1.jpg(sorry this last pic of it is upside down)


    2. If the item below my diving board (in the water) is not a light, then what is it? Can I make a light out of it? How costly? If it is a light, how do I turn it on/change the bulb/check it?

    3. There is a light fixture behind our diving board that is disconnected and does not work. During our home inspection, the electrician told me that the wire inside the fixture were hot so it was definitely getting juice. I believe the bulb may be busted inside and the wires would have to be reconnected. However, my real question is whether anyone had see a light fixture like this before. It is not the most aesthetically pleasing, so I was considering possibly replacing it with something else or updating/cleaning it to make it look better if I can get it to work again. I still have found no "light switch" to turn this off and on. I was curious if maybe the prior owner had this set up on a timer or on a daylight sensor. It would make no sense to run it non-stop, but it appears to have power constantly connected to it.
    Photo3.jpg

    Sorry again for the multitude of questions, and for the poor picture quality, but it was getting dark when I was able to take these. Also, this is my first time trying to post pics to a subject as I am new to the forum.

    Thanks for any help!
    25,000 gallon
    Vinyl
    rectangle shape
    Sand filter
    Hayward Pump

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Razorhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northeast Arkansas
    Posts
    387

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    Not sure about the pool light, most are bigger than that but maybe it is some sort of new LED? The light behind your diving board looks like a standard 12 volt landscape light. You'll probably find a transformer around somewhere. Mine look like this: Link: Amazon.com: Intermatic ML600TW Low Voltage 600-Watt Power Pack: Home Improvement
    Although they could look different. If it is constantly getting power, either the transformer doesn't have a timer or it is stuck on.
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    You're in the best position to determine what that is in your pool. I'm betting against it being a light - it's pretty small. As for putting a light in where none exist - it's a major undertaking.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    50

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    Thanks Razor and Geebot. I will check around for a potential box, but I don't believe I have seen one (I would think I would have come across it by now). I have some more investigation to do around the landscape light.

    I agree with you Geebot about it likely not being a light due to its size. I don't think it would be any type of "new LED style light". The pool was built in the 90's and the prior owner lived here for 5 or 6 years and he was not the type of person to add such an upgrade. Plus he did not know anything about it when I asked about a pool light. He was not aware whether there was light. I was just curious as to what this actually was. I have no idea what else they would put right there. The center is somewhat plastic/glass looking almost like it could be a lens. But it is too foggy to see (I looked at it with goggles while underwater last year during the season).
    25,000 gallon
    Vinyl
    rectangle shape
    Sand filter
    Hayward Pump

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,769

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    Ok I am not there. But what you have looks like a fiber optic light and the thing behind the diving board is the light generator.

    Fiber Optics - Fiber Optic Pool Lighting - INYOPools.com
    Different systems and parts

    Its not common at all today. Most folks replace them with nicheless led lighting.

    Its the safest pool lighting because no electricity goes to the pool but generally it produces subpar light.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    50

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    Interesting. That is exactly what it looks like I have! Wow. I never would have guessed that. It looks like I will have to look at it a little bit more closely and plan to upgrade to the nicheless led lighting. Looking at a replacement video on youtube - appears that it could be a worthwhile and easy enough update.

    Thanks for all of your help!
    25,000 gallon
    Vinyl
    rectangle shape
    Sand filter
    Hayward Pump

  7. Back To Top    #7

    In the Industry
    patrick3229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    243

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    The Savi Melody Nicheless LED is a good option as a replacement to a fiber optic light, keep in mind that you will need 15 inches of straight 1.5" pipe behind your fiber optic lens to accomodate the Nicheless LED

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    50

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    I know it has been a few months, but we have been looking a bit more closely at this and are planning to replace in the next month (hopefully). What do I attach the wire from the Nicheless LED to? The transformer that is behind the diving board does not appear to be good, so I am sure that it would need to be replaced. As I understand it, those are loud anyway. Is there a best solution for plugging these LED nicheless lights into? I would prefer not to have a loud transformer if I can avoid it. I just want to make sure that whatever I buy is the most efficient and easy way to have this done.

    Also, Apparently, the colors change every time you turn the switch. Does it alternate everytime you flip the switch off/on (going through the colors and color shows) or is there an independent swtich that cycles through the different colors? Sorry if some of this is rudimentary.
    25,000 gallon
    Vinyl
    rectangle shape
    Sand filter
    Hayward Pump

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,769

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    What you are calling a transformer is probably not. It is a light generator. You need to replace it with a pool transformer combo junction box or put a pool transformer somewhere.

    I suggest you hire an electrician or pool company.

    Replacement led lights are made by Jandy Pentair and even fiber stars

    I can explain the process but it is not really casual stuff.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Sacramento Area, CA
    Posts
    22

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsuxtremist View Post
    I know it has been a few months, but we have been looking a bit more closely at this and are planning to replace in the next month (hopefully). What do I attach the wire from the Nicheless LED to? The transformer that is behind the diving board does not appear to be good, so I am sure that it would need to be replaced. As I understand it, those are loud anyway. Is there a best solution for plugging these LED nicheless lights into? I would prefer not to have a loud transformer if I can avoid it. I just want to make sure that whatever I buy is the most efficient and easy way to have this done.

    Also, Apparently, the colors change every time you turn the switch. Does it alternate everytime you flip the switch off/on (going through the colors and color shows) or is there an independent swtich that cycles through the different colors? Sorry if some of this is rudimentary.

    As stated above this is not a easy DIY/Homeowner upgrade or retrofit.

    Nothing is 'plugged in', rather it has to be designed and then hardwired. You need to measure the space in the conduit to first determine what light will fit- the depth is a critical and can dictate the mfg, model and wattage. You need the right controller, transfomer, decide where to put them, etc.

    Im doing the same in another thread. It isnt trivial. Fiberstar Light Retrofit- Options and questions
    In ground, plaster, medgrey; 30k Gall; irregular, approx 32x18 feet ;4' to 9' depth
    1.5HP whisperflo w/ NSP72 DE filter; Solar heat (12x12x4 Fafco); Disappearing edge (2HP whisperflo for edge); waterwitch
    Salt Chlorinator abandoned after 3 replacements and 6 cells over 18 years....

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Somerset NJ
    Posts
    37

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    LSU,

    The pool was built in the 90's and the prior owner lived here for 5 or 6 years and he was not the type of person to add such an upgrade. Plus he did not know anything about it when I asked about a pool light. He was not aware whether there was light.
    I find the above statement by the previous H/O to be both odd & troublesome. I think he knows exactly what's going on ... or in your case what's not going "ON".

    Before doing anything else ... have your pool's electrical system inspected by a reputable licensed electrical contractor who has a strong background in both residential & commercial pool lighting systems and who fully understands NEC Article 680. If you then decide to replace/upgrade your pool lighting ... pull the required electrical permit for this work and then have it inspected.

    I realize that you had a home inspection performed before your closing ... I personally wouldn't use that inspection report as the sole basis for keeping my family safe from electric shock due to a improperly installed pool light, leakage problem, or the use of a unlisted landscape transformer & associated light(s) within 5' of the inside wall of the pool.
    Last edited by CNJ_EC; 07-16-2016 at 03:58 AM. Reason: ttypo
    60' x 30' IG concrete pool built in 1998. 2 - 2" Suction Line( 2-Skimmers/2-Way Jandy Valve per line); 1 - 3" Suction Line (Floor Drain/ 2-Way Jandy Valve); 1 - 3" Return 8 Floor Outlets; 1 - Pentair IntelliFlo VS Prog Pump 240V/3HP (2013); 2 - Triton TR-140C Sand Filters Tandem Config (2013); 1 - In-line Chlorinator (2015). Misc - Pool Use: May to Sept; Turnovers: 2.5; Pump Operation: 23hrs

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    50

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by CNJ_EC View Post
    LSU,



    I find the above statement by the previous H/O to be both odd & troublesome. I think he knows exactly what's going on ... or in your case what's not going "ON".

    Before doing anything else ... have your pool's electrical system inspected by a reputable licensed electrical contractor who has a strong background in both residential & commercial pool lighting systems and who fully understands NEC Article 680. If you then decide to replace/upgrade your pool lighting ... pull the required electrical permit for this work and then have it inspected.

    I realize that you had a home inspection performed before your closing ... I personally wouldn't use that inspection report as the sole basis for keeping my family safe from electric shock due to a improperly installed pool light, leakage problem, or the use of a unlisted landscape transformer & associated light(s) within 5' of the inside wall of the pool.
    Thanks for the input. I believe that the light is original to the pool which leads me to believe that it was installed properly in the first place. I have been living here for over a year now. When we signed the contract on the house I had the home inspection as well as an electrical inspection and a pool inspection. I had both the pool guy and the electrician take a look at the housing. The electrician did not know what it was - thought it was a landscape light for the back yard. He noticed like I did that the inside of the unit was bad, but I don't think there was necessarily anything wrong with the way that it was wired up.

    In any event, I think that I have found out that I just need to get the pro out there to make sure whatever replaces the existing setup is all above board. I was hoping that this was an easy retro-fit, but based on the few comments above, it appears that I may need to get someone out here that has done it before so that I know everything is done correctly.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    What you are calling a transformer is probably not. It is a light generator. You need to replace it with a pool transformer combo junction box or put a pool transformer somewhere.

    I suggest you hire an electrician or pool company.

    Replacement led lights are made by Jandy Pentair and even fiber stars

    I can explain the process but it is not really casual stuff.
    I appreciate the insight. You are probably right - I was using the terms interchangeably since my electrical knowledge is limited. Based on your comment and some others' on here, I think it makes the most sense to go ahead and get a pool pro to come take a look to replace it. I was thinking that it would be an easy-to-replace unit.
    25,000 gallon
    Vinyl
    rectangle shape
    Sand filter
    Hayward Pump

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    50

    Re: Pool Light - do I have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam. View Post
    As stated above this is not a easy DIY/Homeowner upgrade or retrofit.

    Nothing is 'plugged in', rather it has to be designed and then hardwired. You need to measure the space in the conduit to first determine what light will fit- the depth is a critical and can dictate the mfg, model and wattage. You need the right controller, transfomer, decide where to put them, etc.

    Im doing the same in another thread. It isnt trivial. Fiberstar Light Retrofit- Options and questions
    I understand that it has to be hard wired - I was just wondering to what. I have never dealt with transformers/controllers/junctions or whatever that the new LED setup would apparently need to be ran to. I have been convinced this was just a retrofit due to some youtube videos and google searches. However, I am now thinking that I probably should get a professional to come out and have it done. I should have plenty of conduit to get whichever I need. It appears I should have close to two feet of space to work with so I should not be limited by that. I will keep an eye on your thread as well.
    25,000 gallon
    Vinyl
    rectangle shape
    Sand filter
    Hayward Pump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •