Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stain Concrete Pool Deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Pittsford, NY

Stain Concrete Pool Deck

Last month I posted on here whether people thought it was better to paint or stain the untreated concrete pool deck around my inground pool. The consensus was that stain was cheap and easier, and requires less maintenance, so that's what I'm going to go with. The past couple days I spent cleaning up the area, including using my pressure washer with a surface cleaner to really get it clean. I plan on acid etching it with muriatic acid, and then using a solid color stain. I plan on going with Behr products, as they have worked well in other areas. I have two questions I was wondering if anyone had any insight...

1) After I acid etch it, do I need to put down a concrete bonding primer as well before I add the stain? I thought that the whole point of etching was to provide a surface for the stain to adhere to. Is priming really necessary? The Behr website recommends it, obviously.

2) After I add a couple coats of stain, do I need to seal it? I understand that sealing it necessary if I would've painted it, but does stain require it? I believe that it would add some protection, but wondering if it's worth it, if the chlorine will dull it greatly over the years.

Thanks for your help!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Stain Concrete Pool Deck

Most stained and etched concrete I have seen has been sealed, I am not sure if your "suppose" to or if it is "required" by the stain company..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Sealing it may add a layer of slipperiness that you do not want.

Of course, Behr's instructions would supersede any advice we give so I think I would start with them.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    La Vernia, Tx

I acid stained and sealed mine. The sealer can make it more slippery, but any stain supplier company can sell you aluminum oxide or some type of polymer grit to sprinkle onto the wet sealer to give it traction. It worked nicely for us. Looks like you are using a non-acid stain from Home Depot-not sure if they carry the aluminum oxide or polymer grit.
    16x32 rectangular, 19,000 gal, gunite, quartzscapes plaster, Hayward Tristar 2 speed 1.5hp pump, 30" Hayward Pro Series sand filter, TF-100 test kit, BBB method rocks

5. Back To Top    #5

Rochester, NY

How did it come out?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    IG vinyl liner 20x40 Pool, Hayward S-240 Sand Filter and Hayward pump in basement
    Indoor Jacuzzi spa 500 gallons, Spa Marvel
    Rochester, NY